Late Spring Trip planing PA WV and more?

ACME_Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
Feeling the Spring itch to get out and ride
No definite planes yet just a place to be around 350+ miles away

I live in Buffalo NY and there is a wedding in the family mid June in Parkersburg WV
I can not decide on rout or it I should head farther East or South after weeding
Thinking on possible heading down to the Dragon since I will be half way there
Any sugestions

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ACME,

I live in Parkersburg. Hope to see you while you're here!

I guess my best suggestion is that when you come down, don't, for crying out loud, use I90 to I77 - unless you're leaving late and need to make time. Both roads are flat, straight, and boring as heck. I've been that way a few times on those roads by car. For an extra 20 minutes or so you can take I79 to US 50. I've never been on 79 north of Pittsburgh, but south of there it's OK, and Route 50 is a treat. But go around the city rather than through it. If I was doing it, I'd consider 219 to 119 to Morgantown then 79 to 50. That would add about 2 hours though.

Regarding Deal's Gap, there's a group from OhioRiders.net that's going down the first weekend in June. I'd probably be going but my anniversary is that weekend. I'd like to have another one.:D

Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap - Ohio Riders Motorcycle Forum

But there are a lot of great roads near Parkersburg. I like WV 21 south to Ripley or a bit farther then there are some great roads from there. Or if you like SOLID twisties try OH 555 from the south end, starting just a few miles from PKB. Another famous twisties road is OH 26 from Marietta OH to Woodsfield.

If you haven't tried it yet, check Motorcycleroads.com and check the routes near PKB. You could spend days nearby. Someday, I'm going to cross the mountains to Roanoke VA, then down the Blue Ridge Parkway to NC and the gap, then back through TN, KY to home.

Send me a PM when you get closer to the day of the trip.

Chris

ACME_Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Chris
Yes we will definitely have to get together for a ride while I am in town
219 119 was my first thought as I have family in Indiana PA
I have driven that rout many time in a car however this will be the first time on the bike
So decided to post to see if any one new of any must drive twisties along the way

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ACME,

Just a heads up that the motels and hotels near here are very busy - almost booked solid, and expensive. So, if you're not staying with kin make your plans way ahead of time.

The problem here is that there are drilling teams all over the areas working on fracking projects. They are building motels like crazy, but so far demand is still exceeding supply.

Chris

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Frederick, MD. Not exactly in your path, but if you do end up my way lemme know. Welcome to coach surf if the misses says ok.

ACME_Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
ACME,

Just a heads up that the motels and hotels near here are very busy - almost booked solid, and expensive. So, if you're not staying with kin make your plans way ahead of time.

The problem here is that there are drilling teams all over the areas working on fracking projects. They are building motels like crazy, but so far demand is still exceeding supply.

Chris

Chris

Thanks for the heads up
As there is a lot of family coming in down from Buffalo my Aunt reserved bunch of hotel room months ago
We got a grate volume discount however I do not remember what hotel we are staying at

ACME_Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Frederick, MD. Not exactly in your path, but if you do end up my way lemme know. Welcome to coach surf if the misses says ok.

kinderwood
I have been debating on possible taking a longer trip on the way home.
One route that has my eye is heading across WV on 33 and after entering VA heading north on Skyline Dr. in Shenandoah National Park.
Have you ever road down in that area?
I may also head up thru Philly to visit other family

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
kinderwood
I have been debating on possible taking a longer trip on the way home.
One route that has my eye is heading across WV on 33 and after entering VA heading north on Skyline Dr. in Shenandoah National Park.
Have you ever road down in that area?
I may also head up thru Philly to visit other family

Have not been on 33, but it looks awesome on google street view.

Skyline I have done in a car. not on my bike. We went camping for a few days at Shenandoah. Its one heck of a drive. Prepare to take a long time to get through it. Lots of scenic points to stop and traffic runs pretty slow on it due to gawking. There's some sweet short hikes off it that lookout over the whole valley.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, Did you pass through and not check in?

Tsk, tsk.

If I remember correctly. the middle part of June was pretty wet. I took a day of vacation on Friday, 6/19 and Saturday with some people who came down from Michigan to ride SE Ohio and NW WV. It rained a bit on Friday and a lot on Saturday. I learned that my new PR4's do great in the rain.

Chris

ACME_Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
Chris

Sorry I missed you the family took up all of my time when i was in town and work has been so busy I have not had a chance to post a trip wright-up
The weeding was on Saturday June 20 in Parkersburg. I didn't get down there until after 7pm Friday. The family was all staying at the same hotel so day started with us all going to breakfast and the weeding took most of the rest of the day.
I headed out first thing Sunday morning and road all the way across WV to Shenandoah National Park VA. Monday road Skyline Dr and then headed to just west of Philadelphia to visit my brother. Tuesday road to Yuengling brewery in Pottsville PA and then on home.
I try to pack too much into the few days I could get off of work. 1,400 miles in 4 days of riding and was on the bike 8 to 10 hours a day.
It was an awesome trip.:rockon: WV roads are great however they are a little far from home.
If I get down that way again I will definitely need to make time to meetup