Might be getting another FZ6!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1, shouldn't be an issue cranking it up..

If you haven't already, dump the old fuel out of the tank.. It's going on a year old now..

PS, I'd be grumpier than usual W/O riding that long...

I am CLEARLY grumpier than usual :) As for the tank, the old silver one is gone, I had a spare red one that I purchased off a forum member. but it was dented. A buddy of mine did the body work and painted it pearl white to match the visors in my early picture.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since the tank is off there’s little chance that the bike will start, and if it does it will die seconds later. I say crank it for a few seconds and then button it up.

Congrats on the wedding of your oldest.
Sounds good to me. If all goes well next weekend I might actually get some riding time in. Can't wait.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, the brake system is best filled from the bottom up. Use a syringe and some 5/16 clear tube to fill or refill it and you’ll have instant pressure.

During the long inactive period, the master cylinder was disconnected from the handlebar and left hanging upside down about the level of the calipers. I am guessing that the air in the top of the master has worked its way into the brake lines. I rebuilt the master 2 years ago and the calipers 3 years ago, so I don't suspect anything wrong there.

I have a MityVac and I think I can use it to push fresh brake fluid from the cup into the caliper by setting the unit t pressure, then hooking up the hose from the gun to the lid of the cup and the hose from the straw in the cup to the bleed nipple. Pressurize the cup lightly, open up the bleeder and voila!

Either way I plan to flush the front and rear brake systems.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
During the long inactive period, the master cylinder was disconnected from the handlebar and left hanging upside down about the level of the calipers. I am guessing that the air in the top of the master has worked its way into the brake lines. I rebuilt the master 2 years ago and the calipers 3 years ago, so I don't suspect anything wrong there.

I have a MityVac and I think I can use it to push fresh brake fluid from the cup into the caliper by setting the unit t pressure, then hooking up the hose from the gun to the lid of the cup and the hose from the straw in the cup to the bleed nipple. Pressurize the cup lightly, open up the bleeder and voila!

Either way I plan to flush the front and rear brake systems.

You might remove the MC cover and just flick the lever.
You'll probably see small bubbles coming from the valve (bleeding the MC).
If so, you may get a "lever" back with just that..

BTW, rode today (like most days down here but the weathers been gorgeous) . Nuthing like sweet sound of open Scorp's, winding up thru the gears!! The bikes running better than it ever has.. :)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday morning I finished the electrical, did all the under-tank assembly, mounted the tank, put in a little fuel, pressed the button and VOILA...... NOISE!!!!!!

With the master cylinder now mounted to the handlebar for a few weeks, the handle is firm and the brakes are working again.

Was going to mount the chain and try for a ride, but it was time for more wedding stuff :-(

By next weekend for sure.......

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I discovered an electrical gremlin last weekend while testing. I have some custom wiring inside the fairing and 2 sub-harnesses I had made long ago were a problem. They were made before I had the skills and tools to do quality crimps. Long story short, I ended up remaking them over the week and installed them yesterday.

And then..... I went for my first ride since June 2020, when I lowsided. Is was f'n marvelous!

Still have a little tweaking to do, but nothing complicated.

For @TownsendsFJR1300: When installing my new inner cowl panels, I realized that I mistakenly ordered one in the 'other' color. I must admit that the bike did feel a little faster when I took it out for a ride :)

Last edited: