Oil leak from oil filter area

BestBroseph

Reaction score
Visit site
it all started the beginning of the season. I got the tarp off my bike and did some light maintenance, and noticed the oil was quite low. I had a quart and a half lying around so i topped up, thinking nothing of it, checked pressures and everything seemed to be fine, rode it about 50 miles and it felt good, especially after i did the valve adjustment at the end of last season. Just yesterday i had the oil light flash on when i accelerated hard, and so i check my oil and its at the low end of the dipstick. I head over to autozone, get a quart and then top it off, and go to the car wash to blow all the road grime off to see where in the world its coming from. It seems to be fripping from somewhere directly above or on the oil filter, as it runs down the top of the filter and onto the side of the oil pan. i can provide pictures later. to get to where it may be id have to take the front sprocket cover off and maybe the oil filter itself. To my knowledge it didnt leak last year, and i did an oil change about the middle of the season last year. The bike runs fine and has no mechancal issues, has never been wrecked, and the leak would be protected so its not like i bumped and cracked the case. gonna dig into it later today

Bike is a 2009 fz6.
only mods are a battery tender lead, phone charger, and lights. i know its not coming from the top of the engine, no oil residue where the top valve cover is. has to be right above oil filter.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

BestBroseph

Reaction score
Visit site
so i did a full oil change, and discovered my dumb ass has used a fram filter, and a small one at that. i imagine it got clogged and just started leaking. i have a much larger mobil 1 filter on it now, and fresh synthetic oil, and no leaks. also, i had left my bike at my dads and he had moved it around a few times, and the last thing i did was adjust the valves, so i assumed i left it low over the winter, if that is what youre asking about the oil. i just wanted to move it, and planned on an oil change anyway, but i started riding out of necessity, and thats when i noticed the leak