Oxford Hot Grips

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bloody left arm, rock throwing softies. I'm ridding in -8C (17.6F) no heated grips for me.

Was thinking about them yesterday on the way home though

Nelly

vkray

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I got mine last week and they are great, as well as heated gloves I dont think my hands will be getting cold, if they do then something is rotten in the state of denmark:rockon:

templar

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice set up! ...Think I'll go with heated gloves.

Getting cold in Western New York in the Finger Lakes, but not much snow. Poor SOB's on Lake Ontario have 50" level snow on the ground as I write.

I ride until there's ice and snow, but my legs and hands get cold. As I previous wrote I was told a 19-years old biker chick on the buddy pegs can keep me warm, but I don't believe we in the US of A are allowed that motorcycle accessory.

See you on Campus.

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
OK I've almost got my Hot Grips installed... coooold in my garage working on the bike.

Alan, thanks for you help! I found the relays and but it appears my model (2005 Naked) has a different set up from the one in Post 12 above. I don't have a chunk green wire in the relay 3rd from the left. (see attached pic)

I am trawling the net to try and find the service manual as I am sure it will tell me the colour of the wire that powers the headlight circuit. Whilst I am doing that is anyone familiar with a 2005?

See attached pic of my relays... if anyone know which wire powers the headlight circuit please let me know.

Thanks all!!!

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I seem to remember that the green on the later bikes becomes blue further into the loom, looking at your picture I would guess the blue coming from the relay is the headlight feed.

If you have a multimeter you would probably see +12v on the red/yellow wire but not on the blue with the engine off, then you would see +12v on the blue as well once the engine running.

If this is the case then a final test is to unplug the relay and the bike should start but the headlight will be off.

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
IT WORKED! What a sense of accomplishment!

Thanks for the advice Alan! I'm glad you recommended testing with the relay unplugged as my relays were not in the correct order and it ended up being the 2nd from the left.

In case anyone else reads this on the 2005 FZ6N, it is the Blue/Black Wire coming from the Relay called the 'Dimmer relay' #60 as per the attached pic.

Last edited:

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
You can mount the switching unit on your bars...

View attachment 29293

:thumbup:

Dont glue on your grips...you dont need to...better to secure them with wire...like you do with race bike grips...Then you can transfer the grips to another set of bars...

Once they are glued, you cannot get them off without damaging the heating coil...
I have these coming soon, in transit. When you said to use wire, what do you mean?

Azmontana

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I have a 2005 FZ6S, any ideas if I can do the same by wiring into the headlight relay, will the relay be capable of handling the additional load?

Cheers

Az

mynameisrodney

Reaction score
Visit site
Dont glue on your grips...you dont need to...better to secure them with wire...like you do with race bike grips...Then you can transfer the grips to another set of bars...

Hi mate,

How exactly do you do this? Sorry, I know nothing about fitting race bike grips. I've put these on my VT250, and they were really tight anyway so I just put them on without glue and never had any problems.

Cheers,
Chris