Puig frame sliders question

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased some Puig frame sliders on ebay. The said that they fit 2004-2006 models of FZ6. When I looked around online, the same frame sliders (same model number) were used for a 2008 as a 2004. So I bought them. They came in, and the bolts were not threaded correctly, and appear to be to long (but I can be sure since I couldn't screw them in, as they weren't threaded correctly).

Also, when I looked at online pictures, it appeared that the black of the frame slider went all the way to the frame. These include an aluminum piece that is a good inch long that looks as thought it would sit between the frame and the delren on the slider. Would on of you that has these frame sliders look at the pics of mine and tell me if they look like the same thing that you have installed? These came with the Fazer end cap (which I knew about), and I am now wondering if these are for a pre 2004 European version.

If the picture you posted is of the Puig sliders you got, they're the wrong ones.

First, here's a couple shots of what mine look like. I couldn't find any pictures I'd taken specifically of the frame sliders, but you can clearly see them.

1-3.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

The first thing you'll notice is the ones for the FZ6 don't have the metal base. You don't need it. It doesn't go inside the frame. I'll have to check, but IIRC, on the FZ6-specific ones the delrin (the colored part...on mine the blue) actually extends off the bottom and into the frame. I've had mine on for about 3 seasons now and haven't had them off at all, so it's hard to remember.

If the ones you bought have that "base" of delrin that comes off the bottom, then you might be able to remove the metal piece and see if it fits in the frame. As far as bolts go, you could take one of the engine mount bolts to Home Depot or Lowes and find a slightly longer one of the same thing and make it work.

Hope this helps...sorry if they are indeed the wrong ones!

Thanks. The metal piece does come off the bottom, and it does not fit inside the frame. The delrin is the same width as the metal piece, so ti wouldn't fit inside the frame either. Plus, without the metal, there would be nothing for the bolt to hold on to besides the delrin.

I am correct, that all years 2004+ use the same model, am I not? If that is correct, I am just going to try to go through ebay and get my money back, because these were advertised as being good for the 2004-2006 models.

Ok, I checked and the delrin part on mine DOES NOT go into the frame. So, they should be pretty much the same piece as mine once you separate the metal part from the delrin.

Before you go to the trouble of trying to return them, here's what I'd do. Take out one of the engine bolts where the sliders should go. Go to Home Depot or Lowes (or any neighborhood hardware store) and find the exact same bolt, only a bit longer. Take the slider with you and find a washer that will fit on the bolt but also down inside the delrin part of the slider (on the bolt head side). You can probably make these work just like the ones I've got. On mine, the delrin of the base sits right up against the outside of the frame, so you should be alright there.

That sounds like a good idea. Also, if you look at the picture, notice the slider on the right. That metal base is actually upside down. That small piece of metal that hangs down below flush on the metal base actually fits inside the delrin of the frame slider. The left slider shows the base correct, with that small piece inside the delrin. Would I need to get a small sleeve to fit inside the delrin similar to that for added strength?

After doing more research at the Puig website, these are in fact model 1872N. This model is for the 1998-2003 FZS 600 Fazzer. Our bikes use model 1873N.

Last edited:
Well, the seller offered to just refund my bid price less shipping and let me keep the sliders, as he does not feel he can sell this model. So I am going to hold onto these and try to make them work.

What is the metal piece like that comes with these for mounting? Is is just a tube that sits up inside the pad, and extends down to the bottom of the mounting hole on the frame? Or is it shaped like the piece that came with these, only thinner so that it sits inside the hole on the frame? I want to use these, but not at the expense of not having my bike as protected in a fall.

Thanks.

Give me a day or so and I'll pull one of mine off and check the part that goes up against the frame for you. I'll get you some pictures too so maybe it'll help.

That would be awesome. I appreciate it. I swear, out of the (I think) 3 other sites I have signed up on, this site is definitely the most helpful.

Just noticed your sig. The day I bought my bike, the first thing that one of the guys I showed it to (friend of a friend) did was hold up a UK cap to it and judge how close it was to that color. He deemed it close enough that he liked it, lol.

Back