Puncture Sealant vs. Plugs & Patches

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with preventative puncture sealant such as this product: Genuine Ultraseal GB, Ultraseal UK, puncture, punctures, prevention, tyres, tyre, motorbike, tyre sealant, Ultraseal, Ultra Seal GB, Ultraseal USA - Tyre Conditioner.

It seems pretty effective and am just wondering whether anyone uses this and can compare its effectiveness to patches/plugs for flats.

Not sure about bikes but when I worked in a tire shop we had people coming in alllll the time with their tires full of that crap and a flat still. I think its more of a quick temp fix.. but I think its easier to carry a little plug kit.. its so easy, and much safer..

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll second that, I have plugged and ridden on (for a while) the front tire on my fz. Sure a mushroom plug from the inside is best, but a good reaming and plugging worked well for my girl until I could buy her a new set of rubbers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The goop inside the tires is a temperature thing to get to a shop it causes a wheel imbalance and can cause wheel tramp temporary only,

Plugs are also in this category,

An inner patch with proper seal cleaning and cement is re only proper way to repair a puncture ,

I tell you this from experience and education I a 6 year mechanic.

Best of luck the safest thing. Is to replace the tire if not affordable please patch.

Plugs and goo are not permanent fixes

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Plugging is much better than that sealant stuff if doing by the side of the road. Otherwise as said get a proper mushroom plug from inside as soon as you can.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
The goop inside the tires is a temperature thing to get to a shop it causes a wheel imbalance and can cause wheel tramp temporary only,

Plugs are also in this category,

An inner patch with proper seal cleaning and cement is re only proper way to repair a puncture ,

I tell you this from experience and education I a 6 year mechanic.

Best of luck the safest thing. Is to replace the tire if not affordable please patch.

Plugs and goo are not permanent fixes

I found through working in a tire shop that plugs worked perfectly fine as a long term fix. My car has a plug from 4 years ago, my moms truck has had a plug since she drove it home from the dealer too. Certain situations, like when the hole is very near the side wall, call for the removal of the rubber and a patch to be applied.. As for anything in the tread, a plug is just as good as a patch..

I'm saying this thinking about car and truck tires, not motorcycle tires. It may be different, I'm not sure.. but I don't see why it would be.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had 3 professionally fitted mushroom plugs in one rear tyre and did a trackday. I got them all within 1000 miles of the tyre being fitted.

As long as it's not too near the shoulder of the tyre a plug should be fine. Though it all depends on the initial puncture. Anything too big or at an angle or if the tyre doesn't have much tread left will be difficult to repair.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The aspect of my comment was safety not price, Hence the last sentence if cannot afford do what others suggest if you are not doing the safe thing because you are frugal you have played your cards then

:) either way so what you feel is best

Exfreelander

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using this [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puncturesafe-Puncture-Safe/dp/B001KTYQT6"]stuff[/ame], you put it in the tyre before you get a puncture and it forms a permanent seal, there are plenty of videos of people riding over nails to prove it. Since I've started using it I've not been unfortunate enough to get a puncture, so I've not seen for myself if it really works, but it's another option to look at.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say a plug over sealant. I had slime in my last rear tire and the mechanic looked pissed when I told him.