Super Glue - not just for projects

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive used ducttape to help seal wounds before but this seems like a whole lot better and less painfull...when I pulled the ducttape off it really really hurt...

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update -
Gluing the flap shut had to be the best choice ever as I've been walking on it for 4 days now, taken normal showers, no gimping about or favoring it, and the color still looks like nothing ever happened. Apparently I cleaned, stretched and glued it back well!

From the point when it was torn open to being resealed it was filled with sand, dirt and river water. An hour later cleaned and sealed. About 4 hours after sealing, it filled with clear fluid making a small bubble which was absorbed in the night as I slept.

So far all is well and I can't imagine any other product or process would have given these results. We're talking 2nd or 3rd degree burn due to depth of skin loss so I'm happy I've been pain free this long. Heck it might just spit the super glue out and stay put based upon the color.

That's not to say Nu-Skin doesn't have it's uses. It does/ But here the glue prevailed.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update - on day 5 I had to reglue the edge as it was starting to lift. Its day 8 and the edge where it was glued is the only part that died so to speak of. 95% of what could have been lost skin is healed and attached! :cheer:

A potentially painful and inhibiting injury (keeping me from normal activities) was completely avoided.

/end

Hopefully a few of you find this useful!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mods, not sure where this best fits so move it if there's a better place.

All, after a long weekend of running about in very hot weather and bare foot through rocks and water I managed to peel a very large chunk of flesh many layers deep from big toe (about the size of quarter). Not much blood as it was peel back kinda like blister but layers deep and lots of raw nerves.

Knowing it'll take a good week to repair itself and I need my big toe operational so I opted for scrubbing/washing with soap and water and gluing the flap down with super glue. That was two days ago and it sure looks like sealing it up to keep the dirt out has down a great job. In fact the color looks like its normal color as if it never happened.

Bottom line: this is not the first time I've used super glue to repair cuts and abrasions and now include it in my first aid kit.

It's a life saver and you can pump it straight through a leaking area to seal it all back together. Yes, they make a medical grade super glue but off the shelf instant adhesive could be a good thing for a fallen biker who needs a quick repair to get home.

So consider grabbing some and keeping it with you. :thumbup:
Super glue is commonly used in skin closure. I have used it as An ED nurse for the last 10 years. It has been around much longer. We just use a sterile version.
If I am correct it was originally devised during the Vietnam war to enable skin closure to facilitate better "Casvac" to the rear. It is brilliant for Paediatric wounds where suturing would be unnecessarily traumatic.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics: but seriously:wav: good effort.
I would recommend keeping the skin dry for at least 5 days. 7 over a joint.
The flap that lifted would not have had a good vascular supply so would have died anyway.
You can also lay some strips of surgical tape across the wound for added security.
It's very rare that I get to use the real skills I have on a motorcycle forum.
Thanks for posting.

Nelly (Forum Trauma Nurse)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just now reached in for clean towel to wash my helmet visor and out of no where the SARAN WRAP serrated cutter lurched out and sliced me thumb upon! :Flip:

I'm not into bandaids so I super glued the bleeder shut so my riding glove won't be filled with hemoglobin! :thumbup:

Now to go riding!!!