Tips on Saddle Bags and Seat?

cpost562

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to the forum and the proud owner of a new 09 FZ6. I have loved the first 525 miles I have put on the bike so far and I love the riding position and the bottom end torque. My only complaint is the seat starts burning my butt after about 30 minutes. Anybody ever put memory foam or had anything done to their seat to make it more comfortable?

I have a set of soft saddlebags and for the life of me can not remember the brand. I had them on my DR350 when I would take trips on it. I would like a link with some pics of FZ6's with saddle bags on them or post your pics so I can see how you have them mounted and strapped to the bike.

The best way I found for mine to work was to run the front strap under the seat above the exhaust shield, which I might need to get some type of heat shield cause I believe the strap will get really hot and I really don't want it catching on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol.....The rear strap I was able to run across the tail just behind the seat. Everything seamed good and tight but I just wanna see how you guys are hauling your gear around?

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I have a set of Fieldshear bags and just put them over the seat with the straps going to the pass pegs and the turn signal brackets--
P1000448.jpg

Have lots of miles on them with no problems with heat, I have stock exhaust.
As far as the seat is concerned it just takes a few miles to break it in and even then you still get monkey butt after a couple of hours, YMMV:D

Jerry

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the seat, there's a ton of options and they're all over the board as far as cost..

Cheaper items are a sheepskin or (yes, I'm serious) different underwear.. What you're looking for is air movement.. The more your butt sweats, the more irritated it'll get.. A pair of bicycle riding shorts go a long ways..

Another route is actual riding pants. I'm not going to preach to you about riding gear and protection, but I wear Aerostich Darien pants when I ride.. These nylon/goretex pants breathe and I find that a seat that bothers me in 30 minutes when wearing underwear and jeans, will be comfortable for 3 hours or more in polyester shorts and my Darien pants.. On top of that, I'm protected from sliding down pavement (Ok, I preached a little :))

A Sheepskin is easily fitted for the bike, or you can buy pre-made items. Again with Aerostich their sheepskin pad is extremely comfortable for the long haul for $62, but if you're a hang off sort of guy, it's going to be more of a bother than a help. Aerostich Sheepskin Saddle Pads :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

From there, you can start spending real money on aftermarket seats.. I HATE Corbin because of past terrible customer service issues, and the fact that their product is only slightly better than stock.. Instead, look into Sargent Saddles, or some of the custom seat makers.. I have 2 motorcycles with Russell Day Long Saddles, and my Kawasaki KLR650 is ALL DAY comfortable, just like my GoldWing.. It takes a lot to make a dual sport bike into touring comfortable, but I have zero problems putting a 500 mile day on my KLR and riding it the next day in complete comfort.. Problem is, that sort of comfort doesn't come cheap.. $450 will get you started, so it depends on what you want to spend and how much you want to think about you rear end while riding.

There's other options that other guys will bring to the table, but these are the ones that I've used in the past with excellent results..

Also remember that what one guy finds comfortable, the next guy will find to be a torture device.. We're all different in size and shape, let alone comfort level..

buckeyethunder

Reaction score
Visit site
cpost,
I am 53 years old and i bought a large PRO-PAD,nice comfort on long cruises and you can take it off in 10 seconds.They cost $90,I bought mine off of craigslist for $20.Google PRO-PAD for more info.It is a gel pad.Enjoy your FZ6.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
From there, you can start spending real money on aftermarket seats.. I HATE Corbin because of past terrible customer service issues, and the fact that their product is only slightly better than stock..

I own two Corbin saddles and find them vastly better than stock. Everyone has a different preference and rear end to set on the seat. For me the Corbin's are great seats.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I own two Corbin saddles and find them vastly better than stock. Everyone has a different preference and rear end to set on the seat. For me the Corbin's are great seats.

My issue is due to the worst customer service I've ever had from any company in my 45 years of buying ANYTHING.. I had a 2 month old Corbin seat fall apart, and they wanted $100 to fix it.. It's a long story and it doesn't end well.. I'll just say that I'll never give Corbin another dime, ever..:rolleyes:

There's plenty of aftermarket seat manufacturers out there to choose from with excellent customer service records.