Trading my ER6N for FZ6

LAGman91

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am new here and I will try to keep this short. I am a 22 year old student and owner of an ER6N for the past 7 months, I picked this bike as it was on a budget and had heard it was cheap to maintain while it provided a good experience. However, I was always in love with the sound of 4 cylinders and when even more so when it came to the FZ6! While I love my Kawi, it feels a little frittle when it comes to highway speeds above 140km/h, the suspension hurts my soul and I don't really feel at home on it as I am 185cm tall and weigh 100kg. I do about 200km every week on the freeway and use my bike as a daily commute and to my surprise, the ER6 is so freaking economical at only 4.5L/100km even when ripping through the rpms frequently. Now that I am more financially stable, I am thinking of selling it for something else.

Now for my questions: I earn € 300 a month and I have the luxury to spend all of them on things I want such as trips, vehicle fuel (I also own a hyundai i30 with a 8L/100km mileage albeit I use it only 2-3 times a week) and still have more than 120-150 euro at the end of the month to spare. The plan is to collect €2.000 and then sell my bike for 2.200 (bought it at 1900 but fixed some stuff and added tires) and then buy an FZ6 S2 preferrably the faired version for €3000~ while having around €500 backup for possible repairs and then €500 more as savings.

As for the mileage I have done some research and it does not seem to be that much higher than my 2 cylinder ER6N. What I want to ask is if there is a difference when it comes to maintenance and future costs. Keep in mind that while I am a good rider with track experience on an R6, I know jack shit mechanically and had always had other people do that stuff for me. I can only take care of minor stuff such as an oil change, air pressure and minor suspension adjustments for my needs so that means for anything else I take it to the mechanic. If you agree and I proceed to buy one, what checks should I immedietly make?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ is one of the most bullet proof bikes you can get...

You can change the oil, add maintaining the chain, perhaps lube the clutch cable every once in awhile and just go ride..

As with any new (to you but a used bike), go over it from front to back, addressing things as you did (as needed) with your other bike..

BTW, as you have experience on an R6, (and know how much maintenance is NOT needed) the FZ is a de-tuned, somewhat de-tuned suspension, up-right seating R6.

Then go ride it and enjoy!

turbodan

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always gotten a little over 50 miles per gallon out of both of my FZ6's. I think that works out to 4.6l/100km unless I dicked up the math. That is also with a semi frequent exercising of the tach. The 04-09 FZ6 makes great low end torque so you can scoot around and leave almost anything far behind without making a scene about it. You really don't need to exceed 5 or 6 thousand RPM in the city, though it gets much more fun above about 8 or 9.

Reliability is really excellent. It would be very hard to improve on the design and quality of Japanese motorcycles from this era. These bikes have never left me stranded and have never required any significant or costly repair. Valve adjustment is recommended around 28k miles or 45k kilometers though this service is often ignored completely.

These are some of the most practical high performance street bikes ever made if you ask me.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The ER6N is a nice bike, but I think that the FZ6 is an upgrade over a ER6N. However with that said, the suspensions are largely the same, so don't expect any comfort improvements over the Kawasaki. Perhaps you have a blown fork seal(s) that is causing the ER6N to "hurt your soul". But at your weight, the forks will require firmer springs (something around 0.95 kg/mm) and the inherent dive characteristics can be controlled with valve emulators.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's absolutely no way I'd make the gamble of replacing a known used and working vehicle with a used and unknown vehicle while on only 300€/month and (as you put it) jack shit mechanical knowledge. Neither would I pay my yearly income on a vehicle of any type, less so just for more power and better sound.

Nothing is bulletproof when it has unknown history and 12-15 years.

A good set of tires alone cost 300€ for an fz6 (rear is wider than the er6). Then there's other little thing that will add up quickly- 2 spark plugs instead of 4, 1L/100 more fuel used, quicker chain and sprocket wear, faster brake pad wear, etc.

I'm just being honest and realistic here. I've had my financial ups and downs (at times much worse than a "for fun budget" of 300€ a month) so I know the huge difference between "I can afford it" and "if I stretch out the living shit out of everything, then and only then I'll be able to squeeze out the money for X".

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea... If you are worried about the long term costs.. Then this may not be the sport for you. Everything has a cost attached to it. Gas, oil, coolant, spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, tires, brakes, random ascetic parts if you accidentally drop it. But if your just trying to stretch a budget.. why not just keep what you have for another year and put some money into savings.. this way you dont have to worry about the costs, cut you have it in savings.. yea.. save your money.. FZ6 is a great bike if you go that route, but not worth it if it means no dinner every night...