Trip around the Central Europe (Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, the Alps and such) from June 2

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
As I have 6 weeks of summer holiday this year :cheer: I will be spending about two weeks on the road around the Central Europe starting June 20th. I have only three must-visit places so far (the Nürburgring, Munich and some of the Alpen passes like the Stelvio pass). I'll probably be driving counter-clockwise, starting from Finland to Rostock (in Germany) by a ferry and going down the eastern Germany to the Alps and back north along the western side, then maybe thru Denmark and Sweden back to Finland.

If anyone has any suggestions of some great driving roads along the route, please let me know. I have quite much flexibility route-wise on the trip so if there are places worth driving/seeing/visiting, I'd sure like to know :)

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the initial route plan. Point N will be a ferry back to Finland so I won't have to drive through Sweden again. I'll be spending a few days in the Alps and it seems that Nürburgring will be open for tourists by the time I get there :)

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Just the ride in a car to the Nurbürgring was amazing! On a bike it will be phenomenal.

Yep. I've watched videos from the track for hours and they say that the videos don't do the track much justice, it has to be experienced.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60SPGAfNhe0&feature=player_detailpage"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60SPGAfNhe0&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so the start of the trip is becoming closer! I will leave on Saturday morning, head thru Sweden and Denmark to Munich, Germany and from there it will be about one week in the Alps.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the time Col de Tirini might be worth a drive...

images

Have fun and take pics if you can!

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the time Col de Tirini might be worth a drive...

images

Have fun and take pics if you can!

Good advice! I'll have to see if I can make it to the French Alps. I'll spend most of the time in Austria, Italy and Switzerland. Sure I will take lots of pictures and post them here during the trip as well whenever possible :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so the start of the trip is becoming closer! I will leave on Saturday morning, head thru Sweden and Denmark to Munich, Germany and from there it will be about one week in the Alps.

Have a great trip, looking forward to the pics :thumbup:

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I arrived at Munich. Mostly so far it has been autobahn at high speeds, and I can happily say that the FZ6 can go all day long at speeds of 160-190km/h :) Once I got to 230 km/h indicated and she was still accelerating, although slowly. I also passed a police car at 190km/h with no ticket, you can't do that in very many countries :) Tomorrow I'm heading to the Alps, first to Grossglockner in Austria and then to Italy. Pics will follow once I get an access to a computer, I'm writing this with my cell phone.

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I drove the Grossglockner high alpine pass and it was quite a surreal experience since most of the time I was inside a cloud, the visibility was something like 100m at most. I spent the night in a beautiful Italian town, Terento. Then today to Passo dello Stelvio. All I can say is wow! It was both exciting and scary at the same time since the hairpins have quite a lot of elevation so you have to be careful not to drop or stall your bike. Now I'm back in Germany, next place to visit will be the Nurburgring.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I arrived at Munich. Mostly so far it has been autobahn at high speeds, and I can happily say that the FZ6 can go all day long at speeds of 160-190km/h :) Once I got to 230 km/h indicated and she was still accelerating, although slowly. I also passed a police car at 190km/h with no ticket, you can't do that in very many countries :) Tomorrow I'm heading to the Alps, first to Grossglockner in Austria and then to Italy. Pics will follow once I get an access to a computer, I'm writing this with my cell phone.
Yeah, in USA riding that fast cops might get panties in a bunch even if it is in desert highway:

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
The trip is now done and I will do a post with pics later. It was a great trip, 14 days and 6252km with lots of exciting roads and great places! The best part was for sure to drive in the Nürburgring.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The trip is now done and I will do a post with pics later. It was a great trip, 14 days and 6252km with lots of exciting roads and great places! The best part was for sure to drive in the Nürburgring.

looking forward to the pics :drool: :thumbup:

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are the pics (there are quite a lot of them) Link
Most of the pics have GPS coordinates as well if you'd like to look at the locations in for example Google maps.

Last edited: