Trying to choose new rear tire but not sure...

M

Merkaba998

I'm looking to replace the rear tire for my 2006 Yamaha FZ6. Looks like motorcycle-superstore is having a sale, but I'm confused by the size picker drop down menu on Motorcycle-superstore's website.

I know the size i need 120/70zr17m/c (73w). The tire i have now and will most likely be looking to buy is the Bridgestone Battlax BT-021

Bridgestone Battlax BT-021 Rear Tire - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

but there are some unknown letters on some of the sizes to chose from. In the sizing drop down menu what do the "F","BB", and "RR" stand for?

Also thinking about the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact
Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact Sport Touring Rear Tire - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

but it also has a few unknown letters on the end of a few of those. What do those characters mean?

Reaction score
Visit site
Some tires have a different suffix that represents the compound used. There was one that I looked at which had an E on it,
and was told that was for a two-up bike loaded up for touring. Different compound for different usage, is what they were saying.

Looks like the Z8 went up in price now. Worth every cent tho :thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Between those two, i'd go Z8, rode a Versys with Z8's on it and i'm 110% sure they're my next tire, especially after how many miles he said were on them (7k on the rear, looked like they had another 7k to go at least)

Edit: Re-read and saw you're just replacing the back... if the front is a Battleax I'd go with a bridgestone on the back as well

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
One concern I'd have with the BT-021 is that it is an older model of tire. Do they currently make it at this point?
A newer Battlax is the BT-023, but some reviews are a bit weak on that one.
The S20 is said to stick like glue, yet the mileage may suffer (unless you don't beat on it much).
If the front is in need of replacing soon, I'd wave the "matched set" idea, and get an updated tire for the back now.

M

Merkaba998

Thank you everyone for all the help. All great info. Sorry i screwed up the size code. Lots of copy and pasting with very little editing. I asked motorcycle-superstore the same question and here was their response...

The letters after the size are OEM specs. The OEM tire for your bike is no longer available, but any one of those will work just fine. Honestly that tire is being discounted, I would probably go with the Z8 which is a better tire. You will choose the “M” which is their newest compound. The “E” is just for a Honda.

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using Bridgestone S20R's. They've survived a recent 2500km touring week, and they stick like sh!t to a blanket through the tight stuff.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
My vote is for a Pilot Road 3. Have done very well for me. Have Dunlap Qualifers on the CBR and don't like them. Stick well when they are hot but the problem is getting them hot when it is cold outside. Just don't trust them.