What's your "Close-Call-per-mile" ratio?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know how some people say they saw their life flash before their eyes right before an accident? Well all I saw was the word FORD as I went through my windshield and bounced of the trucks spare tire!!
Although a very serious story, that line made me chuckle! :thumbup:
Amazing you could even keep track of what all happened in that accident, so glad you got thru it relatively well. Thanks for posting that!

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Although a very serious story, that line made me chuckle! :thumbup:
Amazing you could even keep track of what all happened in that accident, so glad you got thru it relatively well. Thanks for posting that!

Even though everything happened in a matter of seconds, when I think back on it, it seems like it was in slow motion. Main images I remember- Cars and car parts way up ahead to the right flipping into the air, seeing the mans face in the car next to me as he looks directly at me and swerves towards me, seeing the word FORD approaching at a rapid rate. The thoughts that went through my mind -DON'T hit or get hit by something moving--Keep the bike up on impact (don't lay it down)--and i believe a cuss word crossed my mind somewhere in there (probably as I went through the windshield). My avoidance reactions and braking were pretty much automatic (probably due to my years of racing and crashing). If the fellow who chose to run over me had not tried, I would have been able to stop with no problem and would have not been a part of the accident. I saw it developing from the start by my habit of looking well ahead. What did I change after this accident? I stopped using my motorcycle in rush hour traffic. I went early and left late. Less traffic. This incident happened in 1987. I still have people do stupid things around me but I am VERY defensive. I just assume that every one is out to kill me! ;)
I have been riding for 42 years and still am NOT an expert rider. I am always learning. I am now reading a book titled How to Ride A Motorcycle. I am halfway through and found some tips I will start using.:)

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my first REAL close call in a long time this evening. I was on my way home from work and a guy in a pickup truck had been behind me for a while. I was moving at a pretty good clip(65 MPH in 50 MPH zone) and the pickup had been gaining ground on me for about a mile so he was really scooting. I'm coming up to my road and need to make a left turn so I began to slow down, giving my break lights a few flickers as I usualy do to get the attention of the person following me. There was a car coming towards me in the on coming lane so I would need to almost come to a stop to let the car pass to make my turn. As I'm slowing down I'm keeping my eyes in the mirrors( Like I always do) monitoring that hard charging truck. Well, good thing because he wasn't slowing down. I had just droped into 2nd gear when I realized he had his head was up his you know where so I gunned the hell out of it and as I started to pull away at about the same time he must have noticed he was about to run over a big blue speed bump and jamed on his breaks. It must have scared the crap out of him because he had almost completely stopped and I was 300 yards away by then. I went to the next road up and made a U turn and he was still going very slow, talking on his cell phone as I waited for him to pass by. He gave me a sheepish "I'm sorry" wave as he passed and all I could do is shake my head. The dude could have killed me and he wants me to think it's OK because he waved. I know people make mistakes, I do all the time, but he was a J/A. 5860 miles.

I know most of you guys and gals keep your eyes in your mirrors but keep your throttle at the ready too. The guy who said " When in doubt, gas on it!" couldn't be more right in this case. I think it may have saved my life.