09 FZ6 vs. Versys Comapison

jeepinoutwest

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok since a few people have asked for this here it is. First here is my background. I owned an 05 FZ6 for which i put on over 8000 miles. I also owned an 09 Versys which I put on 7000 miles. I just trades my 09 Versys in on a brand new 09 Black FZ6. So here are my thoughts.

First let me start with my initial impression and then explain. My first ride on my new FZ6 had me feeling like I just traded in my '64 Ford Falcon 6 cylider for a brand new Lexus is350.

First the numbers Versys 60hp at rear wheel, top speed 115mph
FZ6 92hp (approx) at rear wheel, top speed 154mph

Ok so here are the issues i had with my 05 FZ6 in 8000 miles: (crickets)

Ok so here are the issues I had with my 09 Versys: (in no order)
1. There was an incessant loud buzz that came from the front cowl that required me to stuff it with window insulation to quiet it.
2. The mirrors would not stay put (wind pushed them in towards you) and I broke one off trying to tighten them. This happened before I installed extenders.
3. Mirrors were useless and required mirror extenders.
4. The stock seat was so bad I had to send it out to get reappolstered.
5. No temp guage.
6. No rear hugger, back side got filthy in rain.
7. I snapped of the right footpeg under my own weight (175lbs) and an analysis showed that is was cracked more than half way through for some time. Could tell by the oxidation process.
8. Seems to be getting harder to start at 7000 miles, might have needed plugs.
9. Overall poor fit and finish
10. Clutch cable stretch more than any other bike ive owned.
11. No center stand.

Ok the meat and potatoes. First the engine. The Versys feels like an underpowered ford motor from the 60s, while the FZ has much more power and is as smooth as a modern lexus. The Versys had decent linear power but second gear topped out at around 60mph. Seems like the Versys is a much rougher design. Yes, I know the difference between a parallel twin and an inline 4. The transmission on the Versys is more notchy and less presice, both are 6 speeds. The clocks on the FZ are much nicer, easier to read and more informative. They also look of a higher quality. The Versys is also very highly suspended which is fine, but even puts me at 6'1" tall on my toes at stoplights. (i did have the seat modified and raised shightly to include more level padding) I like being flat footed in my FZ. handling: Well, this is a Versys strong suit. It handles great. It is a toss up as to which bike wins here, but it is the Versys' best feature. Versys also sports a 160 rear tire as opposed to the FZs 180. Braking, hands down the win goes to the FZ. Versys brakes are mediocre at best but unless you ride hard you'll be fine. Ergonomics, The Versys seat is awful but there is more room on a Versys than an FZ. The FZ has a more compact seating position. I did have to install peg lowering block to acheive this good position on the Versys. fueling is good on both bikes. My biggest complaint was with the Versys power, while it allegedly has 60hp it doesnt even feel like it has that much. Ive had cruisers that had a higher top speed and quicker acceleration.

So in conclusion, The FZ is simply way more polished, stronger and faster and a better bike in almost every regard. If anyone has specific questions, if I missed something, just ask.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading reviews I thought the Versys was the bike for me. When I saw one and sat on it my mind changed. Very, bolt upright, position and the fit and finish was not very impressive.

Just about everything seemed better on the FZ6. How would you compare the fully adjustable suspension on the V compared to the Yamaha's?

Tim

jeepinoutwest

Reaction score
Visit site
Having been riding for over a decade I would have to say the suspensions are similiar. I never messed with the Versys suspension and it soaked up bumps well while holding well in corners. As for the look, I thought I would grow to like it. I did not.

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Having been riding for over a decade I would have to say the suspensions are similiar. I never messed with the Versys suspension and it soaked up bumps well while holding well in corners. As for the look, I thought I would grow to like it. I did not.

Of course its not all about looks.
After my 04 Fizzer I had an Aprilia Shiver which for me is one of the best looking bikes around,but my one was totally unreliable.
All around in my opinion the Fizzer is the best all rounder,a joy to own.
Thanks for your review though,it was well written and very informative.:thumbup:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice review. In generl, Yamaha wuality is better than Kawasaki. As for the Shiver - many many problems with reliability. Otherwise, a fine bike.

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site
i had a choice between those 2 and a ninja 650, im glad i got the fz. i got it a tad cheaper then i would have gotten either kawie too, and the retail is lower on them.. you get more for your money with the yamaha

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice review. In generl, Yamaha wuality is better than Kawasaki. As for the Shiver - many many problems with reliability. Otherwise, a fine bike.

A mechanic told me once that Honda & Yamaha are the best quality, Kawasaki is somewhere in the middle & Suzuki is at the bottom of the Japanese "quality chart". Not sure how true it is.

And I was looking hard at the Shiver as my next bike, is cheap, beautiful & Italian. But may not be the best bet..

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site
A mechanic told me once that Honda & Yamaha are the best quality, Kawasaki is somewhere in the middle & Suzuki is at the bottom of the Japanese "quality chart". Not sure how true it is.

And I was looking hard at the Shiver as my next bike, is cheap, beautiful & Italian. But may not be the best bet..

in general id say thats about right, but of course not every single honda/yamaha model is more reliable or better quality then every single kawasaki/suzuki

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the great write up/comparo! I had written off the Versys a while back as a nice bike, but just not the one I wanted. I had a Ninja 500R and had sworn I'd never get a parallel-twin again. Then I found an old Rider magazine I had with an article about the '09. Got to thinking again and wondering. This write helped me think I was right in looking at an FZ6 as my next bike. I'm still looking to get me an FZ6, just gotta wait. :thumbup:

jeepinoutwest

Reaction score
Visit site
Im on my second FZ6, and very content. Thats even having owned an FZ1 before both of them. I concur as well on the japanese quality chart. The old saying about suzuki is that they make a great bike for its first season. Can anyone confirm or refute any ties yamaha has with toyota. I do know that yamaha has built at least one car and has worked with some other manufacturers on development including toyota. Does toyota own a stake in yamaha or vice versa?

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I totalled my 07 FZ on July 5th. While I was looking for a bike to replace it the Versys was one of the ones that I looked at. I like the look of the bike from a distance, but when I got up close to it it just looked cheaply made. It was scratched from the list of potential new bikes pretty quick.

Ended up getting an 09 FZ to replace the 07. I could have gotten anything that I wanted, but the quality and reliability plus the lower price of the FZ is really appealing. And as I keep saying "Yamaha built a bike just for me." This bike simply rocks.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a great write-up. Very thoughtful. I'm now riding the FZ1 but when I went to buy the FZ6 I was considering the Versys and the Ninja 650R. I did not like the way I sat on the Versys. I'm 5'10" and have a good reach to the ground but was up on my toes when sitting on the Versys. In trying to give it some off road ability it seemed to loose more "on-road" prowess than I was willing to give up. The FZ6 turned out to be a gem of a bike. I love the FZ1 but there simply is not a bike on the market, IMHO, that beats the FZ6 for an all around package:

1) Great performance
2) Great balance
3) Great fit and finish: It's a looker!
4) Ridiculously good mileage for the power it gives
5) Great reliability
6) Comfortable "24/7" upright riding position
7) Pricing/Value: Arguably the best in the business
8) Very user friendly considering its power
9) Man, I miss this bike!
10) Everything else sucks!

OK, I'm sorry. I got carried away. #6 is probably a little bit of an exaggeration

shysterjd

Reaction score
Visit site
I owned two Kawasakis before I got my FZ6. They were both great bikes, and I never a lick of trouble out of them. The fit and finish on them was not as nice as the FZ, and Kawasaki in know for its clunky gearboxes. Still, the zx-6r handled much better than the FZ.

Glenn

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
1) Great performance
2) Great balance
3) Great fit and finish: It's a looker!
4) Ridiculously good mileage for the power it gives
5) Great reliability
6) Comfortable "24/7" upright riding position
7) Pricing/Value: Arguably the best in the business
8) Very user friendly considering its power
9) Man, I miss this bike!
10) Everything else sucks!

OK, I'm sorry. I got carried away. #6 is probably a little bit of an exaggeration

That's a pretty good summation. Even if #6 is a stretch.

FizWhiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up. However, I have the 650R, and am curious if there are any other similar comparisons to the FZ6 and the 650R. One of my riding buddies has the Versys, but it sits too high for me to be comfy on. The 650R is a great fit, but I laughed when you had to put the window insulation between the fairing pieces to keep it from buzzing. I did that last year and it helped a lot, but I think it's funny that people actually have to do that.