2005 FZ6 motor swap?

Cthunndr

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings all, new here to the forum. Coming here for assistance. A friend of mine (not mechanically inclined) kinda got stiffed on a motor swap and brought his bike to me for help. Its an '05 FZ6 with an '07-'08 J513e (picked up from a salvage yard) motor basically sitting in the frame. I don't know what the '05 motor number is, so here's the question: Is the J513e a direct swap and essentially plug-n-play or are there other modifications needed in order to make the swap work? My friend was told by the guy who flaked out on the install that there was an issue with the cooling fans working with the motor. Is there a difference between the engine harness and temp sensor etc? Any insight or advice on finishing the swap to get the bike up and running would be greatly appreciated. He was also told that the bike was taken for a test ride after the swap was allegedly completed and that the back wheel locked up and the bike wouldn't move. The bike came to me with the rear wheel loose and the rotor off. I reinstalled the rotor and wheel, which spins freely and doesn't move when I depress the rear brake lever. I haven't checked to see if the bike has ABS and if there is an issue with it yet. I'm waiting to get it up and running first. If you need more details, let me know and I'll see what I can provide. TIA

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum!
Off hand I don't think there are any differences between the S1 and S2 engine sensors (except O2 sensor) or mechanical. Mounting should be the same as should the fan sensor and and ECU. The exhaust between the S1 and S2 are different including the O2 sensor that sre included on the S2 version. If you're using the S1 exhaust and the S1 ECU and harness the S2 engine should be a happy fit.
We have many tech savy members here so if I missed anything please jump in members!
Where in Jersey are you?

Oh, S1 are 2004 to 2006 S2 are 2007 to 2009.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re the rear brake. If a US model, there is no ABS..

If, when you apply the rear brake, it does nothing, it sounds as if the caliper is frozen. The rear brake is a very simple set up(no linkage to the fronts).

You can open the bleeder screw, push the pedal and see if fluid comes out. If so, and still no action at the caliper, it's froze up.

You can also try pushing the piston back into the caliper with a C-clamp and get it moving. A rebuild/replacement would be next..

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum!
Off hand I don't think there are any differences between the S1 and S2 engine sensors (except O2 sensor) or mechanical. Mounting should be the same as should the fan sensor and and ECU. The exhaust between the S1 and S2 are different including the O2 sensor that sre included on the S2 version. If you're using the S1 exhaust and the S1 ECU and harness the S2 engine should be a happy fit.
We have many tech savy members here so if I missed anything please jump in members!
Where in Jersey are you?

Oh, S1 are 2004 to 2006 S2 are 2007 to 2009.

As I understand it, the only difference in engine controls is the O2 sensor on the S2, which has a different ECU to incorporate the O2 sensor's input. Other than that, the motors should be swappable.

You said the bike was test ridden after the swap. Is the motor running now?

As for the brakes, ditto on what Scott said. Another thing to check is the mounting plate for the rear caliper. If that is installed wrong, then all sorts of rear brake interference issues are possible.

Do you have a service manual?

Cthunndr

Reaction score
Visit site
@TownsendsFJR1300 Thanks for the response. I'm by Woodbridge NJ. As far as I know, everything is being that was swapped was the motor. Everything else that's original to the bike would be used.. original exhaust, eco, etc. The guy who was working on the bike told my friend that he "test rode it" and that's when he noticed the wheel lock up, the idle not being right, etc. But when I got it to me, it was apparent that the only thing done was the motor had been loosely bolted to the frame.

I reattached the rear wheel, rotor and caliper and tested the brake and it seems to work. It is a US model. Plus I'm still waiting for my friend to grab the rest of the parts from this guy so I can't really move forward until I know what he brings me and what's missing (Instrument cluster, exhaust manifold etc).

As far as the O2 sensor, will there be an issue using the s1 exhaust manifold, o2 sensor, and ecu with the s2 motor?

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I agree with all of the above. If you are using the S1 (original) exhaust, then it's a direct swap.

If the idle is wonky, it's probably in need of a TB sync. I would probably use the original TB's because the sensors attached thereto where known to be working.

The rear wheel locking up....since you didn't observe it, don't worry about it...unless it happens again. If the rear wheel is spinning free move on. Now, if the engine locked up...that's a different concern. Does the engine turn over when you engage the starter?

Cthunndr

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I agree with all of the above. If you are using the S1 (original) exhaust, then it's a direct swap.

If the idle is wonky, it's probably in need of a TB sync. I would probably use the original TB's because the sensors attached thereto where known to be working.

The rear wheel locking up....since you didn't observe it, don't worry about it...unless it happens again. If the rear wheel is spinning free move on. Now, if the engine locked up...that's a different concern. Does the engine turn over when you engage the starter?

Thanks for the input. I haven’t been able to even start it yet because the bike came to me the other night missing the exhaust manifold, instrument cluster and probably some other minor things. I was only able to get the wheel back together, tighten motor bolts, and hook up a few coolant hoses. Hoping to get the rest of the original parts today or tomorrow. I’m not even sure if the original motor is still around in case or if the swapped motor had the old tb’s put on it or if it has the ones that came with it. Once I get that stuff I can see what else is or isn’t missing and then go from there.

Cthunndr

Reaction score
Visit site
Update and question…. Haven’t touched the bike any further yet as my friend is sourcing an exhaust manifold and misc parts to go along with it. My question is will the S1 exhaust manifold fit on the S2 motor? I see that the S2 manifold comes with an O2 sensor while the S1 doesn’t use one.