2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré: MD Ride Review

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré: MD Ride Review

My next bike is likely to be a used Tiger 1050, but I always try and think two bikes ahead. The new Super Ten is very appealing to me. I like the upright riding position and would especially like the extra leg room. Although it's no dirt bike, it should be considerably more capable on fire roads than the FZ6 or Tiger 1050, and that's really all the off-roading I'm interested in.

-If you can afford one, get down to you local Yamaha dealer and order one. It sounds like delivery keeps getting pushed back due to the tsunami/nuclear meltdown and the falling value of the US dollar. So don't count on riding one until next season. But that's okay. That gives you plenty of time to save money. Take out another mortgage on your house in foreclosure. Tell your kids college is off. Whatever it takes. The rest of us are counting on you.

-If you can't afford one (like me), make sure to tell all your riding buddies about it and post on all your favorite forums to try and drum up sales. Yamaha is only importing bikes to fulfill customer orders. No inventory. So if we're gonna have any chance of getting one used in a couple years, we need to help Yamaha sell some new ones now. In a couple of years, they should depreciate enough to be in my price range. And the Yamaha reliability will give me the peace of mind to pick up a well worn model if needed. If the value doesn't drop enough, we may be forced to coordinate a massive online misinformation campaign to spread horror stories of Super Ten reliability.:D Maybe that would be enough to keep prospective second-hand buyers away and drive down the price of used bikes. But let's hope it doesn't come to that. Just make sure Yamaha sells a bunch of them in the next few years and we should have a good number to pick from. I'm counting on you guys!

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
I road tested the Super Tenere last week, it was a really nice ride, in the end the dealer couldn't match the deal I was being offered on a 1200gs so I went for that. Nice bike though, give it a go!

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek:pass almost as ugly as the Ulysses, verseys

That's true. But I spend most of my time riding, not looking. When I'm not riding, it's under a cover.

I can only hope the ugliness factor drives down resale... but if Versys/V-strom are any indication, the opposite may be true.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
lots of nice reviews coming out.
yamaha needs to make a middle weight adventure bike, like the Triumph 800 xc or BMW f800gs.

Yeah an 800 Tenere would be sweet. The 660 is cool, but too much of an offroad bias for me. Plus, we can't even get it here. Heck, an FZ8 with a twin would be cool. I love the FZ6, but the inline four is not the ideal engine configuration for the type of sport touring I do. I guess I'll have to ease my way to a twin by way of a triple.