2014-06-14, Time Distance Rally - SW PDX, Riders Wanted

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about the late notice - they changed the dates a couple times... Riders Wanted!

No Affiliation to FZ6 Forum
- but This was Fun Last year, albeit a ALLOT CRAZY!

2014 Time Speed Distance Rally (( www.sang-froidridingclub.com ))
June 14th, 2014
THE RIDE IS THIS SATURDAY!!!
Yes, the previous email was in fact incorrect (hard to believe, I know) and is being docked valuable time at the next check point. That being said:

This year's edition of the Time Speed Distance Rally (TSD) will take place on the beautiful backroads of Multnomah and Washington counties.
Riders will encounter varied surfaces, terrains, and a few pea****s as they navigate a three leg course and the finale scramble. Participation is free and instructions on the TSD rally format will be given before 1:00pm start time. If you joined us on this ride in the past then you know what a blast it is. If you haven't then come on out!
DATE: Saturday, June 14th, 2014
STARTING POINT: Skyline Tavern, 8031 NW Skyline Blvd, Portland, OR 97229
RIDERS MEETING: 12:30pm
STARTING TIME: 1:00pm
AFTER PARTY: 5:00pm (Location to be announced at rally)
Again, the TSD ride is this Saturday June 14th!!!!

motel6

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely interested but could you explain more? Is this aimed more at enduros or could our fz6s be up to the challenge? Could you describe the course more?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely interested but could you explain more? Is this aimed more at enduros or could our fz6s be up to the challenge? Could you describe the course more?

The course will change every year so no. Last year it involved about 8 miles of hard pack gravel over Mt Hood. it was broken into 4 timed events. They know they next destination and you don't.

That said, the goal; follow the arrows, signs, peoples, and tell tale signs from check point to check point at a rate that you agree too. WHAT? Last year you were give three choices; 35, 45, 55 mph. The goal being if you sustained that rate of speed it would place you at the next destination at time they determined. The issue is, it could be 20 miles or 85 miles to the next check point. So, [MENTION=3969]mxgolf[/MENTION] knows these roads and would be a good one to drag into this. Last year I knew many of the road but did the run for fun.

Riders could include all kinds with everything from cruisers to SS, and motards. You just don't know. Here are some links from last year:

Pickup at post # 54 http://www.600riders.com/forum/usa-...adventure-bike-2.html?highlight=time+distance

The actual event I posted on:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/im-g...029-2013-07-20-sat-am-highway-26-welches.html

Let me know if you have anymore questions and wonder past their website too!
FI

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
SPAM!!! :welcome:

[MENTION=3969]mxgolf[/MENTION] [MENTION=23717]Jon_PDX[/MENTION] [MENTION=23449]motel6[/MENTION] [MENTION=25308]garmie[/MENTION] [MENTION=21015]darius[/MENTION] [MENTION=24674]Xlrrp[/MENTION]

[MENTION=23659]Verharen[/MENTION] << Start riding; you'll be here by Sat! Blah and Bring Cliff and Jerry too!

motel6

Reaction score
Visit site
The course will change every year so no. Last year it involved about 8 miles of hard pack gravel over Mt Hood. it was broken into 4 timed events. They know they next destination and you don't.

That said, the goal; follow the arrows, signs, peoples, and tell tale signs from check point to check point at a rate that you agree too. WHAT? Last year you were give three choices; 35, 45, 55 mph. The goal being if you sustained that rate of speed it would place you at the next destination at time they determined. The issue is, it could be 20 miles or 85 miles to the next check point. So, [MENTION=3969]mxgolf[/MENTION] knows these roads and would be a good one to drag into this. Last year I knew many of the road but did the run for fun.

Riders could include all kinds with everything from cruisers to SS, and motards. You just don't know. Here are some links from last year:

Pickup at post # 54 http://www.600riders.com/forum/usa-...adventure-bike-2.html?highlight=time+distance

The actual event I posted on:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/im-g...029-2013-07-20-sat-am-highway-26-welches.html

Let me know if you have anymore questions and wonder past their website too!
FI

Sweet. Are you going on Saturday?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet. Are you going on Saturday?

I think I may -

Last year was about 300+++ miles, 50 there and back, and 50 some odd after leaving a check point and getting to the next start point. i.e. Final Check Point is typically not the Start of the Next. So you ride a ways to the Next Start point. Plus it prevents congestion.

You have fun last night? Crazy chance meeting eh? lol

motel6

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I may -

Last year was about 300+++ miles, 50 there and back, and 50 some odd after leaving a check point and getting to the next start point. i.e. Final Check Point is typically not the Start of the Next. So you ride a ways to the Next Start point. Plus it prevents congestion.

You have fun last night? Crazy chance meeting eh? lol

I know right?! I have to post the story here, would you mind if I did that?

Go this Sat!! It'd be awesome

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know right?! I have to post the story here, would you mind if I did that?

Please no mention of what you heard in the corners below you while I came up through the corners! :spank::spank: Blah

Other than that...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

So have you ever ridden in a larger group ride? As mentioned; there will be all types, all skill levels and some with minimal skill levels. You really gotta be on your toes. On the last round was 40+ miles between check points so there were clumps of similar riders. Just a guess, but the start and finish times indicate far less miles traveled so likely tighter groups depending on how many turn out.

I tried to be at the front and keep the pack behind me (cue up to leave first) it may be an option. But who knows...

motel6

Reaction score
Visit site
So have you ever ridden in a larger group ride? As mentioned; there will be all types, all skill levels and some with minimal skill levels. You really gotta be on your toes. On the last round was 40+ miles between check points so there were clumps of similar riders. Just a guess, but the start and finish times indicate far less miles traveled so likely tighter groups depending on how many turn out.

I tried to be at the front and keep the pack behind me (cue up to leave first) it may be an option. But who knows...

Not really, dunno how much of a disadvantage that puts me. But I'm an eager young man! :D

I am familiar with the signals though (yesterday before that decreasing radius turn back to the hwy you said slow down but I'm pretty sure I sped up ;) )

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well did you two ride today! No pictures yet! :spank:

Just me. No contact from Mick since last night. Mark you would have enjoyed this run. Just 50 miles over four check points. And UNLIKE what I said above, the check in was the check out point. I'm guessing 40 some on odd riders came and the only vehicle missing was a cruiser! << Likely afraid of the gravel which was only a mile and I held my own on that cruising at roughly 30 miles an hour.

Like last year; pick your speed and ride your ride. 35, 45, 55, with the goal being this is your average speed over the "unknown distance". The only thing we knew was the whole length of the entire run was 50 miles and that included a mile of gravel.

It was pretty eventless. All new roads for me. Some folks did there best to dial it in on the mark and others went for fun (hint hint). Hit the first two check points and had lunch at the Helvetia Tavern. The next two check points were back down the hill to the river and over the St Johns bridge to recap the ride.
It was pretty fun run and we were told this was the original run from 10 years ago the first time they did it.

I enjoyed the ride as it was much more technical, lower speeds, tighter turns and lots of corners!!!
I had another engagement and didn't stick around for the trophies or to check my time in.

I'll post up pic's later...