520 Conversion - Noise from the front sprocket

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Somebody remind me..... What is the advantages of moving away from the OEM 530 chain? If it is performance, it better be a LOT of performance...... A weaker chain that won't last as long and needs mods to avoid doing damage to the swingarm.... huh?

A 520 chain will be about 2 pounds lighter than a 530. For track use a 520 makes sense as it reduces rotational mass and could make that 0.01 second per lap difference. That's no joke because 0.01 seconds for 30 laps is a measurable 0.3 second difference.

For street use, worthless.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Νο no, the aligment is absolutely perfect. The 520 set is thinner and moved inside, so the 530 chain guide cant support it. I didn't consider this from the start and now I must modify my chain slider.

Never did that convertion on any of my previous bikes and I wanted to try it on FZ6 which has an overkill for a chain. 530 on 600 is way to much. I also used the top of the line DID on this mod together with high end sprockets for nearly the same longevity as the OEM setup.
In terms of power, the whole mod with the new gearing, converted the bike into something different.. The torque now is amazing and the bike is extremely fun to ride. I guess, if you are carefull with the throttle, it can help the mileage too.

Understood. The torque is the result of the sprocket size change.

Not trying to be a jerk. Just always felt that simplicity makes things more durable and cost effective.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A 520 chain will be about 2 pounds lighter than a 530. For track use a 520 makes sense as it reduces rotational mass and could make that 0.01 second per lap difference. That's no joke because 0.01 seconds for 30 laps is a measurable 0.3 second difference.

For street use, worthless.

Yep, agreed. I made the assumption that we were talking about a street-ridden bike. And to be fair to all, there was a time I was susceptible to making mods that were 'cool'. Then my pal taught me that in life, 5% of our problems are given to us. The remaining 95% are our own creations......

touloum lostrek

Reaction score
Visit site
The real issue at last, was my ignorance in technical stuff. I couldn't realise at first that the chain slider was damaged and need to be replaced. When I took it out to check it I finally understood. Nevermind, now I know. All start from somewhere... I replaced the old with a new one and the chain is running great on it. The guide is perfectly alligned with the rollers and no sound is coming from there anymore. Oufff, I can finally enjoy the bike and the amazing gearing which totally transformed it.
Thank you all for your time.

WIsh you amazing rides and always wear all your protective gear!