A good day or a good day ruined??

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Blew off work today to enjoy the North Texas 65 degree day and was running along nicely in NE collin county on FM1377 when I encountered my very first flat while riding, 60mph into a shallow sweeping curve and the rear tire goes down. A mild case of panic followed by a run off the curve and into the grass, stayed upright and otherwise OK! 2.5 hours in the coutryside waiting for the tow provided a nice oppty to photo bike. $200 later I have a few pictures and spiffy new Michelin Pilot Power rear tire and a reasonably good story ripe for drunkin exageration....I'm trying to decide if this was a good day or not, I am leaning toward yes as any day riding (brief though it may be) is better than work.

Attachments

• PIC-0043.jpg
    PIC-0043.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 63

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
I am really sorry about that! It was another riding experience though... I've never had a flat tire and I hope I don't, although you need to learn somehow right? ;)

W

wrightme43

It was a day out riding anyway. Bummer on the tire, but maybe it kept you from being in the wrong place at wrong time???? I always wonder.

tmilheiser

Reaction score
Visit site
I skipped to ride in Houston today, but id say you had a good day, took your flat without dropping and got a day off to ride.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I vote great day of course it's Friday nigt and I'm 8 beers deep but hey!

How many miles are on the front? Might change outthe front for a pilot power just because it'll be awesome. I rode a few days on my Qualified rear and then got a front as well and it made a world of difference as well!!!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I carry a small air compressor (about $12.00 from NAPA) which plugs into the battery tender plug and a tire plug kit in a small pack on the passenger seat, hope I never it.

Any day with two feet on the ground is a good day and if you can ride it is even better.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I carry a small air compressor (about $12.00 from NAPA) which plugs into the battery tender plug and a tire plug kit in a small pack on the passenger seat, hope I never it.

Any day with two feet on the ground is a good day and if you can ride it is even better.

I tour a lot and my top box never comes off, so I also have my plugs and compressor with me.

The chance of having to use them must be really small though.

Steve

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Can I ask a silly question? Did you think the front had gone down?

I picked up a screw in the rear tyre & didnt know it until the bugger came out. Riding to work at 5am & whammo, the screw popped out. The bike carried on a treat & squirmed all over the road as the tyre deflated quite quickly.

I pulled over & inspected the front wheel & to my surprise it was fine. Only then did I check the rear & realise it was very flat. The thing is, when I pulled over I was 100% sure it was the front. Kinda felt like I was riding in deep sand on a motoX bike again.

Does this sound familiar or did I drink too much the night before?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

I always carry a tire repair kit and compressor too. The thought of a tow truck touching my bikes makes me shudder....

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
was it a puncture or a slice int he tire, if a puncture you could have been on your way with a $10 compressor and a $4 tire kit and change your tire at a more convenient time.

Not that i carry that stuff either.... but it is a good idea...

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a good day it is!! Thanks for the affirmation, as for cause just seems to be a freak thing, appears as though something got into a tread and tore/cut the tire down. I did not think the front went down, the feeling was immediate and thankfully pretty obvious moderate wobbling and rapidly losing my cornering line. I Mt. Biked alot when I lived in UT and the feeling and corrective action was very familiar thankfully. Couple of other notes, did not put a new front on as the tires only had 2500 miles on them, that sucked the most. I dont mind spending money on tires when they wear out but these still had plenty of life in them. Thanks for the ideas on road repairs and kits!! Finally, the tow guy was Motorcycle specific, he had an amazing rig (no trailer) that had the bike roll on flat (by hand) all the correct tie down equipement. If your in the dallas metroplex and need a tow I would highly recommend. Motorcycle Tow Co. 214-995-0049. Guys name was Marc, made the experience much less painful. Time to test the new sportier rubber!!!