Adjusting my shift pedal

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been having a lot of trouble lately with accidentally shifting into neutral when I was really reaching for second. I've tightened my chain down to max spec as some of you have suggested, but it hasn't fixed the problem. I've decided that the problem lies in how my far my foot hangs under the shift pedal, when i pull up to shift it really does feel like i'm trying to touch my shin to my toe. So I think I need to lower the shift pedal. I looked at the service manual and it seems to indicate that it really shouldn't be any lower than it currently is, but I can't think of any particular mechanical reason why not. I've admitted before that my knowledge when it comes to bikes is somewhat lacking, so i thought I would once again turn to ye 'ol wise ones for some insight on my current predicament. So how about it, will the gremlins get me if I lower my shift pedal an inch or so below spec?

W

wrightme43

Just that unless it returns to no pressure, it will not reset and shift into the next gear. So I would go in half or 1/4 increments untill you find where you want it.

Off topic but on topic in my warped mind. What grade, brand, and age is your oil? It is my understanding, and has been my experince, false neutral, or half shifts are easily corrected by changing the oil. Dont ask me why, I brought the problem you are describing to a guy I really respect. He said change the oil. I said what? Change the freaking oil. OK dude. It stopped as soon as I did it.
So I kinda use that as a gauge as to when the oil needs changed now. Something about the gearbox chopping the viscosity modifiers into little pieces, and la la la ala, so on and so forth. Anyway if your with in 500 miles of a oil change, or your using a dino oil with lots of parrifin in it, try changing the oil.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been having a lot of trouble lately with accidentally shifting into neutral when I was really reaching for second. I've tightened my chain down to max spec as some of you have suggested, but it hasn't fixed the problem. I've decided that the problem lies in how my far my foot hangs under the shift pedal, when i pull up to shift it really does feel like i'm trying to touch my shin to my toe. So I think I need to lower the shift pedal. I looked at the service manual and it seems to indicate that it really shouldn't be any lower than it currently is, but I can't think of any particular mechanical reason why not. I've admitted before that my knowledge when it comes to bikes is somewhat lacking, so i thought I would once again turn to ye 'ol wise ones for some insight on my current predicament. So how about it, will the gremlins get me if I lower my shift pedal an inch or so below spec?

Do it. I did it and it's so much easer on the old ankle. All you need is a 10mm wrench and about 5 minutes. Put you bike up on the center stand so you can get on and off to check where you want to position the shift peddle then just loosen the two lock nuts on the shift rod ,spin the rod untill the peddle is where you think you want it, set on the bike and check it out. When you have it where you want it, tighten the two lock nuts back up and give it a test ride. You won't regret it.

On a side note, I think Yamaha has the shift peddle a little high because if your one of those who like to drag pegs( You guys know who you are.LOL)it may be less of a chance you'll get your foot hung under the shift peddle and have it smashed off while trying to up shift out of a corner. At least it sounds like a good reason to me.:Sport:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I ended up dropping it a little under an inch and now it shifts so much easier. I don't feel like i'm trying to kick myself in the face anymore when trying to shift and this has been the first ride to work in god knows how long that I didn't get at least one false neutral.

As far as my oil, i've only put about 700 miles on it. I did wuss out on my first oil change and stick with the conventional yamalube, but it can't suck that bad can it?

W

wrightme43

No its just that when it gets worn it can do that too. It was just something to think about.

R

Raid The Revenge

I had this problem when I purchased my own FZ6 2006 brand new.

The shift pedal was postioned much too high, therefore I used the tools under the seat to adjust the hexbolt axle one degree lower.

I had to do the same with the brakes.

(This was a drastic change)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...therefore I used the tools under the seat to adjust the hexbolt axle one degree lower.

I had to do the same with the brakes.
Glad to hear this can be done with the brake pedal. The clutch matches my foot position just fine, but I have to rotate my foot out and up to apply foot brake, (not good for emergency stops!) and the end of the brake pedal is starting to wear into the side of my riding boots during normal cruising.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im glad you got it sorted Shaggy. I was going to suggest you cut your foot off LOL. Off topic you recently went on vacation. Have you got any good bike pics or have I missed them already.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
... I have to rotate my foot out and up to apply foot brake, (not good for emergency stops!) and the end of the brake pedal is starting to wear into the side of my riding boots during normal cruising.

This is exactly the reason I moved mine too. I would suggest that you be carefull when adjusting the brake though. If you follow the method indicated in the manual it moves the pedal but not the point at which the break actually engages. So if you lower the pedal too much then your rear break will actually be partially engaged at all times (and the break light will always be lit. What I ended up doing was removing the pedal, rotating it about 10degrees or so, and then re-attaching it.....it's kind of hard to explain in writing, if you want I can take pics of what i'm talking about.

Off topic you recently went on vacation. Have you got any good bike pics or have I missed them already.

Yeah, you must have missed them. I had a really great time, lots of great scenery and such. I'm already thinking about my next trip. I'm thinking since it's starting to get cold here I might head south and find some warmer temperatures, but I dont' have any real firm details yet.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/1199-my-first-long-ride.html