Another Bike Hauler! Inspired by ant_mb (Now modded!)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Another Bike Hauler! Inspired by ant_mb :D

Possibly, but my trailer also has chocks and the rear is also tied down, further forcing the bike into the chocks, so that there's little pressure on the bars. I typically cinched them down so that they used about half of their travel. I've hauled for years, so maybe I just got a weak bar. Regardless, not loading the bars is an even better solution, hence my advice to use the lower triple as the tie down points up front.

Sounds like you did it right. I was taught to tie off the bike at the highest points available for stability. Do you feel that this may be contributed to by the actual trailer suspension as well? I mean, a trailer with little to no suspension, when hitting a large bump, will transfer the shock into the bike suspension and tie-downs. A trailer with great suspension would absorb that shock or most of it, thus leaving the bikes in their tied position?

I can imagine that a trailer with little or no travel in the suspension, hitting a large pothole, would snap the bike's suspension thus creating more load on the Canyon Dancers which transfers to the handlebars. No experience speaking, just trying to use my brain for simple physics. :D

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks to the ideas here I did my trailer setup last weekend. Trailer is borrowed 5x8. Chock a the $40 Haulmaster from Harbor Freight. Once the front wheel is in there it holds solidl. This rig hauls nicely on the highway.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/wanderwing/FZ6/FZ6TrailerSetup001.jpg http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/wanderwing/FZ6/FZ6TrailerSetup002.jpg http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/wanderwing/FZ6/FZ6TrailerSetup003.jpg

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Every December for the last 5 years I have loaded my Fazer and towed it to Cape Town and back, a trip of around a thousand miles each way. I have a BMW 320d so towing torque is not a problem but I don't own a trailer so I have borrowed or hired each time.

I have used the Canyon Dancer type straps a couple of times but I don't really like them, they tend to screw up the grips over a long period of time.

Last year I bought loop straps and hooked them over the bottom triple clamp then hooked the tie down in and down to the trailer. This worked perfectly and the CDs were history.

I saw someone asked about strapping the rear. I have seen guys go overboard with straps, last year I had two on the front and off I went, 2,000 mile round trip with no issues whatsoever.

Regarding the loading, in this country we have a couple of manufacturers that make one person loading systems. I have used the Lazy Lowder and is truly easy, you push or ride the bike onto the trailer and a locking channel holds the front wheel, keeping the bike upright until you tie it down.

2M Sportrailers - The Original Lazy Lowder - Bike Trailers - Sporttrailers, Sport Trailer, Sportrailer. South Africa, Johannesburg

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

After the trip to TN and this week's events, we were arrived back in Ooltewah at my friend's house. We made a couple stops along the way though and I decided to mod the trailer to better suit my needs for motorcycles. :D We stopped into Northern Tools and they had a GREAT deal on an all aluminum truck box that would fit *just right* in that space I left in front of the wheel chocks. Manager's special was $229. Two gas struts, dual 6" handles and a locking lid. Sweet! We drilled the bottom and put in four stainless steel lag bolts with SS washers. Who can tell us why we use stainless on aluminum?

View attachment 16987 View attachment 16988 View attachment 16989

We also picked up some round pin chain shackles because I didn't like tying the bikes to the trailer rails. I like tying the bike at low points. We had to drill 3/4" holes in the side of the frame at four points for the shackle pins. I chose the middle of the side rail and equal to the "D" rings I placed in the bed both front and rear. Even after drilling smaller pilot holes, the larger hole was a heck of a lot of work. This trailer is made with some very high qualiy steel! Here's the results.

View attachment 16984 View attachment 16985 View attachment 16986

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com

Being new to long hauling, any more tips, ideas, etc?

More tie downs.

With your current setup, if you lose one tie down, you've got a bike going over.

Each bike should have at least four tie downs. With four, if you lose one, the bike is still OK.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com

Sounds like you did it right. I was taught to tie off the bike at the highest points available for stability. Do you feel that this may be contributed to by the actual trailer suspension as well? I mean, a trailer with little to no suspension, when hitting a large bump, will transfer the shock into the bike suspension and tie-downs. A trailer with great suspension would absorb that shock or most of it, thus leaving the bikes in their tied position?

I can imagine that a trailer with little or no travel in the suspension, hitting a large pothole, would snap the bike's suspension thus creating more load on the Canyon Dancers which transfers to the handlebars. No experience speaking, just trying to use my brain for simple physics. :D

Kendon trailers use the best torsional suspension. Lots of travel, but its main benefit is that it doesn't matter how the load is distributed. As such, the trailer remains level whether hauling on the left, right, or both sides.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

More tie downs.

With your current setup, if you lose one tie down, you've got a bike going over.

Each bike should have at least four tie downs. With four, if you lose one, the bike is still OK.

Does two front and two rear count, with the chocks? That is what I have on each bike. Plus, the front tire on each has a Brinks 3' chain and lock not only through the wheel but around the chock as well.

Thanks Fred!

*EDIT* I think you were looking at the first set of pics? That was just when I put it all together to locate the chock positions as well as the D rings. I only tied them on with cheap tie downs at that point and didn't tow it.

I have thicker and stronger tie downs on it now. These are built to make themselves soft ties at one or both ends, have snap hooks at all ends and are ratcheting. Really nice ones as they have a velcro strap attached to roll up and secure the excess strapping so it doesn't blow in the wind.

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com

I didn't see the rear tie downs. I hauled with two front, two rear, and no chock. It's never failed me. So if you're doing front, rear and chock, you'll be fine.

The chain and lock are good, but only for theft prevention.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com

More tie downs.

+1. Also, as long as you have a chock, I'd strongly advise that you have the rear tie down points about midway on the trailer so that both the rear and the front tiedowns are pulling the bike into the chock. That's another trick built into the Kendon trailers.

Note that this is an old photo that still shows me using Canyon Dancers, rather than my current recommendation of just attaching the front tiedowns to the lower triple.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com

I didn't see the rear tie downs. I hauled with two front, two rear, and no chock. It's never failed me. So if you're doing front, rear and chock, you'll be fine.

The chain and lock are good, but only for theft prevention.

Yea, but that's needed too. As a reminder, here's all that was left when the stupid thieves cut three of my four tiedowns before noticing the large Kryptonite cable tying the frame to the trailer.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That is a good point Jim. On her V Star, the rear is tied almost equal and would likely keep the bike in the chock. On the FZ6, it does pull toward the rear though. I might have to drill two more holes forward of the rear ones and put in two more shackles to accomplish that, plus put in another D ring. Cheap enough and that would give me multiple points to tie down to for various loads. :thumbup: