Another Scorpion installation

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a few tips from REO Scorpio (Thanks!) since he installed the Scorpions recently and those tips helped me understand things even before I got my Scorpions in the mail. The tips also helped to allay my fears about swapping out my OEM muffler.

I spent half an hour reading the instructions, looking at the diagram, and trying to understand how each part fit and what it was meant for. I then spent about 15 minutes mounting the rubber strips onto the muffler straps -- all done in an air conditioned environment, sitting down and relaxed.

The Scorpion "kit" comes with two mufflers, one "connecting pipe" (that's what the instructions call it -- the pipe that has two openings on one side and one opening on the other), clamps, mounts, bolts, and what looks like a license plate bracket (which I didn't use since I already had a fender eliminator). There were also instructions for an earlier model of FZ6 (these instructions were only mildly helpful).

I then took everything into the garage and removed the seat, side panels, rear grab bar assembly, tail light connection -- very easy with instructions already posted on the forum. I already had a fender eliminator so I didn't have to remove the turn signal assembly. I only needed to remove two phillips screws that held the muffler cowling in place. As I was removing things, I placed each bolt/screw onto the floor in a position relative to where it would be on the bike -- this way, if I forgot, the positioning on the floor would help jog my memory as to how things fit before I took them apart.

I then removed the stock exhaust bracket and then loosened the clamp that holds the connecting pipe and cat together. I then covered my rear fender with a towel and carefully slid the stock muffler out. I placed the stock muffler on the floor and then reattached the stock bracket to the stock muffler so that it can be labeled and stored away as one piece (just in case I wanted to go back to the OEM sound or sell it).

At this point, I was ready to install the Scorpions. This started with installing the Scorpion bracket (two allen bolts), sliding the Scorpion connecting pipe onto the stock pipe (near the cat). This gave me a little trouble -- specifically, the slitted ends of the Scorpion connecting pipe were not wide enough to fit onto the stock pipe. I looked at them, and noticed they were kind of bent inward so I took the end of a screwdriver (rubber) and bent them slightly back into place; after doing this, fitting the pipe still required effort as it was a tight. REMEMBER to put the Scorpion clamp on first before fitting the Scorpion connecting pipe. I pushed the Scorpion connecting pipe onto the stock pipe as far as it would go and slide the clamp on (not tight yet).

Just a note on the clamps that you get from Scorpion -- there are three of them. They look identical but two of them are slightly bigger -- I found this out when I was unable to get the clamp onto one of the muffler ends; as a result, I had to remove that muffler and swap the clamps. The smaller clamp fits onto the connecting pipe and the other two bigger ones fit onto the end of the Scorpion mufflers. Be sure to position the clamps such that it is relatively easy to get at them when it comes time to tighten them.

Another note: I pushed the pipes together (connecting pipe and two mufflers) all the way to the end (where they would go no further). I'm hoping that since I was able to get them in that far, there is a good seal. I did not apply the Permatex Ultra Grey as recommened to me by REO Scorpio (although I had some on hand and may use it if I detect any leaks in the future).

I installed the two mufflers and brackets relatively loosely and then lined everything up and then proceeded to tighten everything a little at a time. I had to do this twice because the first time, one of the mufflers was not rotated properly (I only noticed it while viewing a picture I took after my installation). The second time, I put the bike on the center stand so that everything was horizontal -- I think this made the difference.

After tightening everything, I then reinstalled the grab bar assembly, side panels, and seat. I then polished everything (I didn't want to leave finger prints).

So, it took 30 minutes to read/install rubber onto muffler straps; 5 minutes to bring things to the garage; about 20 minutes to remove the OEM muffler; 20 minutes to install the Scorpions, 15 minutes to reinstall the grab bar assembly, side panels, and seat; 20 minutes of cleaning up the bike, putting away tools, washing hands, labeling and putting away the OEM muffler.

So about the sound, ... I've put close to 450 miles on them so far and here're my impressions:

First, I always ride with earplugs and full face helmet; I will ride without a helmet and no earplugs only down the street and back only to dry my brakes and even then I still may wear my helmet. So my description below is first without earplugs.

Also, I already drilled my OEM muffler (just a few 1/2" holes in each side) and I think it got better sounding esp. at higher RPMs. I already think that this little mod increased midrange slightly too; even so, I still wanted more sound.

At idle, they are deeper sound that stock and certainly a bit louder -- not that loud that it's annoying but just louder. Once the bike warms up, I think they quiet down a little bit (but not by much). Throttle response seems a little bit improved (not a big amount but enough that you notice). Like REO Scorpio has said before, the 3K RPM mark is loud (i.e., you get a deep bassy sound); I don't care for that bassy feel and tend to stay away from 3K RPM. Get up to about 4K and higher and the sound is better and the bassiness is much less pronounced. Get the RPM upto 6K and above and it's loud (over 8K and it is too loud). I rode into work on back roads from a gas station without earplugs and full face helmet and it was somewhat ok -- avoid 3K RPM because that's annoying. Get up past 40mph, and I think the wind noise takes over the Scorpion noise. And in the end, I don't like this exhaust without earplugs -- even on backroads. BTW, I never liked
the FZ6 with full face helmet without earplugs. I've ridden without earplugs on the highway and absolute do not like it with OEM exhaust or Scorpions -- the wind noise is unbearable. I've ridden backroads without earplugs with OEM exhaust and it is ok but gets annoying after a long time.

Ok, now for my normal riding (i.e., with earplugs). My earplugs are foam and NRR=29 (they're pretty good but only last about a week). I started using a set of earplugs almost a week old and the Scorpion sound was loud and above 8K was unbearable. I switched to new earplugs and now, riding to work, backroads, highway, etc. is just fine. I can ride for hours like this (or at least until the rest of me wants to rest). On my vacation last week, I rode on fast highways for 1.25 hours at a time. My riding was very spirited as I felt the Scorpions noticeably improved midrange power and just wanted to play. This morning on the highway, I rode at 5th gear 7K RPM for a good 10 minutes and was fine. Earlier in the week, I rode at 8K RPM and higher and that was fine too. I typically will ride on the highway doing about 80mph on the speedo (actually about 75mph) and the sound is ok. I think that's close to 7K RPM. Either way, I don't find highway riding
much louder than stock (or drilled for that matter). There was a point there where I suspected I had DB killers since I could see a screw in the end of each muffler. In general, I think you have some control over the volume; hammer the throttle and it will scream, but keep it down and it is loud but not annoying.

As I said earlier, I think the bike has an improved midrange and that's pretty fun. I wish I had access to a db meter so I can determine if these pipes will pass inspection here in NH. I think you need to be under 105db at 20" at a 45degree angle (but I don't know at what RPM). Maybe other NH folks can chime in here on that. Also, my MPG did not really change; it's hard to tell really because it fluctuates between 47 and 50MPG and my last fillup I got close to 50MPG.

For the $489 from pipecity.com (plus 1 week), I think they're worth it. I'd be interested in some DB killers in the future -- as soon as I find a site that sells them. I wonder if they only sell them in Europe. I most likely will keep my OEM muffler for days when I just want some quiet. I love the sound of the Scorpions but sometimes quiet might be more appropriate (esp. during inspection time :)). Also, swapping to stock seems relatively easy and I bet I could do it in about 1/2 hour (with no instructions) and maybe closer to 20 minutes.

I think the aftermarket muffler gives the FZ6 a little more "personality" I think it was missing in the beginning. I would certainly do this mod again given what I know now. My biggest concern initially was installation issues that might happen -- turns out the installation was relatively easy. My other concern was how loud it would be and if it would be uncomfortable. It is louder but not so bad that I hate it. With earplugs, it's certainly not a big deal; without earplugs, I would not be comfortable riding like this. Either way, swapping out is relatively easy, so I can have loud and quiet at will. Also, DB killers would help (again, once I can find where to buy them).

Dennis

FZ6 Scorpion installation on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

FZ6 with Scorpions on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Scorpions closeup on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done Dennis! She's looking GREAT! Well written too with a lot of great comments. :thumbup:

I have to ask though, what helmet do you wear? You appear to have a lot more wind noise than I do. I wear a Shoei RF-1000 and it is very quiet inside. I only wear plugs if I know I'll be extended riding over 60 mph. Outside of that, even with the Two Bros can, I don't have any issues. I do have excellent hearing too, even though I'm old! :D

Glad you're having a lot of fun with the 6!

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done Dennis! She's looking GREAT! Well written too with a lot of great comments. :thumbup:

I have to ask though, what helmet do you wear? You appear to have a lot more wind noise than I do. I wear a Shoei RF-1000 and it is very quiet inside. I only wear plugs if I know I'll be extended riding over 60 mph. Outside of that, even with the Two Bros can, I don't have any issues. I do have excellent hearing too, even though I'm old! :D

+1 on the Shoei and noise. I find, even with the Scorps, I don't need plugs unless I am going on a longer ride.

Dennis, glad you were able to get them on without any of my troubles :) They look great and from your post, sound great as well.

Did you have any leaks at all? I am still perturbed by mine needing the sealant immediately. Even when I had the Y-pipe all the way forward, it still leaked. Also, I can't tell from the pic, but do you have any gap along the riveted band on the cans themselves? (Towards the front). With a cigarette, mine blew a little air through there. Again, the clear sealant seems to have taken care of it, but I just wonder if I got a bunk set and should look into it further.

I have about the same mileage on mine and can't imagine going back to stock. Just gives the bike so much more attitude.

Anyway, congrats again on the mod!

Scorp

P.S. What FE kit did you get? I like that look so much better with the new cans

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Red Scorpio, he has the FAZR6 FE Kit. Dennis's bike USED to be mine. :thumbup: That's the bike I traded in to the dealer for the FZ1. :D

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site

Hm... I have an HJC full face. I really wonder if it's just I have a low quality (specifically noisy) helmet. I have a 3/4 helmet too and the noise protection is better. I actually rode the bike up and down the street yesterday (to clean brakes after wash) without earplugs (but with 3/4 helmet this time) and the sound wasn't that bad -- it certainly was better than the HJC full face helmet.

I'm looking into getting an RF-1000 (I tried one and I believe a small fit me just right). It was a little tighter than the HJC (maybe that would help wind noise a lot).

On my cruiser, it's amazing to be able to ride without plugs using my 3/4 helmet even at 50mph; with the full face, it downright sucks. I hope the new helmet helps a lot. I really don't want to ride the FZ6 with 3/4 helmet -- it might seem to retro :D.

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Shoei and noise. I find, even with the Scorps, I don't need plugs unless I am going on a longer ride.

Dennis, glad you were able to get them on without any of my troubles :) They look great and from your post, sound great as well.

Did you have any leaks at all? I am still perturbed by mine needing the sealant immediately. Even when I had the Y-pipe all the way forward, it still leaked. Also, I can't tell from the pic, but do you have any gap along the riveted band on the cans themselves? (Towards the front). With a cigarette, mine blew a little air through there. Again, the clear sealant seems to have taken care of it, but I just wonder if I got a bunk set and should look into it further.

I have about the same mileage on mine and can't imagine going back to stock. Just gives the bike so much more attitude.

Anyway, congrats again on the mod!

Scorp

P.S. What FE kit did you get? I like that look so much better with the new cans

I hope an RF-1000 helps on the noise level. There are days when I loath the earplugs.

If I have leaks, I cannot tell. I don't know how else to test -- I don't smoke and don't feel good about lighting a match next to the bike. All I know is they seem to sound good and on the first startup, I noticed moisture coming from the left can only (but didn't notice any moisture anywhere else) so I guess that's a good sign.

If I see soot coming from anywhere or any anomalies, I'll try the Permatex but so far so good. I remember putting a new pipe on my Vstar and it seemed that if you tighten the clamp, it got quieter; this suggests if there is a leak, one manifestation is unwanted noise which I don't seem to have. Maybe when I'm out for a ride in Winter, if I see some extra smoke, I'll see a leak.

I too think they do give the bike more attitude. I remember riding the FZ6 and being happy and then switching to my Vstar and hearing the burble of the pipes and saying "now that's a bike!" and wishing my FZ6 had something to say besides wooosh. Also, these Scorpions help me feel like this FZ6 is more like my old CBR F4 which I do miss sometimes.

I may go back to stock sometime if I feel I need to just get the stealth feel back; not sure why but who knows. Like you said, once you do it (I had to remove the seat twice), it gets easy. So a swap is no biggie. Plus, I have a chance to really clean the stock muffler and fix the little paint chip in the blacked out shroud. But for now, I surely don't want the stock sound.

That FE kit came from FZ1inNH's install. This FE kit really simplified the installation.

Dennis

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis, before deciding on the RF-1000, check out these links and spend some time looking for the features you want along with the less noisy helmet.

Motorcycle Helmet Noise - webBikeWorld
Motorcycle Helmet FAQ - webBikeWorld
Motorcycle Helmets - webBikeWorld

I used to wear a Z1R Stance and after geting the RF-1000, discovered that a lot of my noise was because of the helmet. Some helmets can make noise worse, not better.

I chose the RF-1000 because of the venting and the visor adjustments. The visor has 7 firm stops that don't change with speed. The Z1R, no matter which stop the visor was on, would fully close at 40 mph. There are times when I like the visor cracked open just a bit. The Shoei gave me that. It also was a better fit. I have a rounder head and a lot of helmets are built for oval heads and do not fit. My ONLY beef with the Shoei is the non-removable liner. Ifthat was included, I'd call it the best out there IMHO.

Helmet fitment is very important so what ever you find, head to a shop and try them on first. Don't order one without knowing the exact model and size that absolutely fits your head.

Hope this helps!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, one more thing about the RF-1000... with all the vents open, it is a noisy helmet and should still require plugs, but with the vents closed, it is amazingly quiet. So, plugs for the hot days and none for the cool days.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All I have ever owned were RF-1000's.

I've used other helmets, but I won't purchase anything else until someone can prove another is better.

Fz's exactly right, with the vents open, you will still get wind, etc. But closed, on cool nights like tonight here in Chicago, perfect closed.

Just one of those nights where I went to just grab smokes, end up putting 60 miles through forest preserves. I just love how when I get on my fizzer I don't want to get off.

Scorp

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice folks. The Shoei RF-1000 hit me because when I bought my bike, the folks at Freedom Cycle spent about 1/2 with me to figure out what helmet was best for me and we determined it was the RF-1000. I never bought one because they were so expensive.

I had a motorcycle incident last June and one of the things Statefarm recommended was to get a new helmet; I didn't think they'd be ok paying that kind of money for the new helmet esp. since my HJC cost only about $150. I called on Friday they said get the helmet, bring the receipt and we'll cut a check. So today, I got an RF-1000.

I had a little bit of time with it today (without earplugs) -- about 1/2 hour ride and 1/2 hour back. The wind noise is so much less than the HJC at 40mph or less. I was even able to ride at 65mph. If you tuck under the shield, I don't think the earplugs are really necessary. I rode with the vents open (loved that cool air over my head :D on a 60 degree day). I will try again (hopefully tomorrow) with vents closed. I ended up putting the plugs back in on the way home and it felt good.

I think on my cruiser (with big windshield), I could ride highway speed with out plugs. But I still need some time to evaluate this helmet. First impressions are it's a fine helmet -- a different class than the HJC (not to say the HJC is really that bad). Non removable liner kind of bites but oh well. I also got a tinted shield (mirror style) as I hate wearing sunglasses under the helmet.

Oh and (as I said in another thread), this helmet without plugs makes reving the Scorpions sound wonderful -- it's that really sweet sporty sound I was looking for. I thought they sounded good already but tonight, they really sounded nice. Who knows. Could be the low temps and broken in affect, either way, I like 'em even more than I did yesterday.

Dennis

Fairport

Reaction score
Visit site
DB Killers available at PipeCity. You have to call the toll free number and ask for them. $50. a piece no shipping cost. No more reason to avoid 3000 RPM.