Are Helmet reflective stickers compulsary in France?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone knows what the French law is regarding reflective helmet stickers. Apparently in France you have to wear a specific set of reflective stickers on your helmet to be legal, but it's not clear to me if this rule only applies to French residents).

I went to the Vosges region in June without stickers but I didn't hear about it from anyone. Maybe because I was wearing a safety vest and my helmet is silver anyway that they took this into account?

Here's a discussion about it on MCN.

On the ANWB (Dutch AAA or AA) site it states that they are compulsary, but the site from Motoport they say it is only required by French nationals.

Normally I wouldn't be too bothered but I recently heard on a UK website of a group of riders getting fined for not having them. As I'm probably going to Normandy next year (depending on the weather) I would like to know for sure.

Edit: looking at this article it seems that it is law, but I guess it got a bit confusing with the recent laws on reflective clothing and breathalyzers not being implemented (properly).

Last edited: