article - Full Moon Is Bad, But Supermoon Is Even Worse for Motorcyclists

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
"On average, these motorcyclists tended to be about 32 years old, male, riding in a rural area, not wearing a helmet and involved in a head-on frontal collision."

I think the prevailing wisdom here is that helmets are highly recommended... not to mention the median age is a bit above 32 years old ;)

article: https://www.livescience.com/61166-full-moon-linked-to-motorcycle-fatalities.html

study: The full moon and motorcycle related mortality: population based double control study | The BMJ

Excerpts...

"According to data on nighttime motorcycle crashes in the United States from 1975 to 2014, motorcyclists were more likely to die in crashes on nights with full moons. Riders were even more likely to die on nights with supermoons than they were in the weeks before and after the celestial events, researchers found."

--

"A further finding in our study was that the increased relative risk of a fatal motorcycle crash was accentuated under a supermoon. The absolute increased risk was substantial and amounted to about two additional deaths on a night with a supermoon. To the best of our knowledge, this increased risk has not been previously mentioned, even in myths around the supermoon. The observed correlation between a purely visual event and an increase in fatalities supports the theory that momentary distraction is a contributing mechanism.59 An alternative explanation is that a supermoon enhances the lighting of surrounding landscapes that may lead motorcyclists to misjudge distance and speed (analogous to the aerial perspective optical illusion experienced by aviators and mountaineers in sunlight)"

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, DUSK, with the sun behind you, is about the WORST time to ride...

Your headlight and bike/body is super hard to see to on-coming traffic. (rush hour traffic yet)

I don't care for night time riding BUT cages will see you better (headed towards each other).

Most of our fatalities are early morning, around 2:00AM when the bars close (drunks-both bikes and cages).

Kinda related, what I do approaching a side street (they have the stop sign), I'll swerve back and forth (VERY VISIBLE)
in MY lane. This pretty much insures that driver see's me (as in WTH??) But still ride as invisible and keep an "out" available"

Last edited:

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, DUSK, with the sun behind you, is about the WORST time to ride...

Your headlight and bike/body is super hard to see to on-coming traffic. (rush hour traffic yet)

I don't care for night time riding BUT cages will see you better (headed towards each other).

Most of our fatalities are early morning, around 2:00AM when the bars close (drunks-both bikes and cages).

Kinda related, what I do approached a side street (they have the stop sign), I'll swerve back and forth (VERY VISIBLE)
in MY lane. This pretty much insures that driver see's me (as in WTH??) But still ride as invisible and keep an "out" available"

"The shadow knows where the danger lies" - If your shadow points in front of you, it is pointing towards the danger 'cause the sun is behind you.
+1 on the SMIDSY weave too!
https://youtu.be/eqQBubilSXU

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the weave too!

I didn't know this ( SMIDSY ) even existed...

I simply started doing it (to the extreme) months ago (using about the entire lane).

Great You Tube confirming what I've been doing but also WHY it works...

I ALWAYS positioned myself in a a lane closest to where the "potential threat" was. IE, side street cage, get closer to the curb so your not hidden behind a cage (and do some swerving).

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't know this ( SMIDSY ) even existed...

I simply started doing it (to the extreme) months ago (using about the entire lane).

Great You Tube confirming what I've been doing but also WHY it works...

I ALWAYS positioned myself in a a lane closest to where the "potential threat" was. IE, side street cage, get closer to the curb so your not hidden behind a cage (and do some swerving).
I had seen this year's ago and have used it since. I even talk about it when I teach a BRC. But I also remind the class to cover the brakes and be ready to stop or swerve.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk