Assistance with Boz pipe please.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So having received my Boz Bro's CBR exhaust,(Thanks Newyorkian:thumbup:) and being woefully impatient, I have arrived at the "pipe connection" conundrum. I need to cut the connector pipe that came with the slip-on, but my question is. do I

A. Leave the stock pipe with chamber and connect there or..

B. Remove said stock pipe and use the almost the full length of the "new" pipe.

Lastly, should I weld or clamp the pipe with insulation material once the decision is made.

Please see not so good pics for reference.

Pic 1 is the "stock" chambered pipe.
Pic 2 is the full length Boz pipe.
Pic 3 shows the Boz pipe as it passes the main feeder pipe sans the chambered pipe.
Pic 4 Is lousy but shows the pipe securely mounted using the provided strap and 2 of the screws from the original exhaust hanger and factory holes!

I am leaning towards using the stock chambered pipe making the cut as close as possible to allow for a clamped connection without hitting the shock.

Thank you for any help:D

The F.E. is going to be a whole other challenge:eek:

Hey Oldfast, Cool to see you giving this a whirl. . .So heres my 2 cents. I decided to remove the entire pipe to use the entire Boz pipe. I did this because it eliminated to Cat and just seemed a little easier than trying to get the Boz pipe manipulated with the chambered piece on. . .Im also not sure what the angle would be with the chambered pipe still on it. . .What i do know though, is that if you DO keep the chambered piece, it will save a lot of headache trying to figure out a way to keep the muffler centered and from moving left and right. You can see the chamber has that muffler mount welded to it. . .I ended up having to weld on a hanger to the muffler and mount her up. . .Im still trying to get a nice filler to fill the gap that i have on the sides. . .im brain storming :). . .I actually kind of like the bike without the black plastics on the sides. . .adds a sportier look in my opinion, because of the illusion of the higher tail end. . .

I would weld over clamp anyday, but i dont see enough backpressure in the system to make a difference. + My bike already had the fender eliminator when i bought it. . .but the pipe also comes with a fender eliminator for a CBR, but its a little too narrow...

So...about 85% done and drivable! Wow, fitting the mid pipe(s) was something, a little ghetto but no leaks so far. I was able to retain the bottom a frame and my original FE (home made) just need to figure out how I killed the plate light.

The sound is LOUD:eek: But I love it!

I am going to fabricate some sort of side fillers (maybe the expanded metal method), and custom make an under seat heat shield/storage area, am a little nervous about heat under tail light assembly, may shield that as well.

I love what you learn by just getting in to it, I had an escape plan that went as far as buying all stock stuff from ebay or whatnot in case it went completely south on me. I ended up using the stock cat pipe and cutting most of Boz pipe to make it work, but it is rock solid, no movement at all.

If anyone else is tempted, DO IT! i was able to use the strap that came with the Boz and the stock mounting holes and screws from the original hangar just inverted!

Thanks again to Newyorkian for the inspiration and help!!

Awesome job Oldfast! Yours looks VERY clean. Always wondered how it would work keeping the Cat pipe, nice to see it went pretty smoothly :). .If i ever do an overhaul on the exhaust again, i still have the cat, and might slap it on for the mount purpose :p

Now lets get some fillers going! Im still working on one, that mesh i had was way to thin and kept getting high and low spots when i was adjusting it

I actually started on one method, I took the stock shroud cut directly in half and will cut out the end caps and try to profile it around the Boz pipe, I think it may work, also will need to devise a mounting plan as it originally hooked up to the muffler...we"ll see,

nice, i stared at the shroud for like 5 minutes trying to think of something to do with it. . .Thats a pretty good idea. . .I just finished epoxying a new piece of mesh, it looks a lot better than the one in the last photo. . .The new stuff that i have is a little more rigid. . .

Nice! Pic when you get a chance, and what method are you going to use to mount em up?

Thanks...

Back