At what point is a fuel controller required?

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to hear about all the benefits of a fuel controller...I know they can be tuned even for bone stock to give a better ride but I want to know when certain changes will fuel manipulation mandatory. My son has an 06 with the only mod being Delkevic slipons. He's planning to replace the air filter with a K&N unit. Airbox will remain untouched. A decat pipe & modded advancer might be in the future too.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't consider a fuel controller unless the compression ratio and/or displacement has been increased. And if I did decide to implement a engine controller, it would be calibrated on a dyno with proper air:fuel (wideband) measurements.

The OEM ECU has fuel trims. The fuel trims don't require adjustment for a slip-on and an air filter. If the cat is removed, then you might consider adjusting the fuel trims. Also, if the cat is removed you might also consider hearing protection.

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of off topic but I've been noticing posts about remedies to 'throttle snatch'...I never experienced this when I rode my sons bike. Guess there are different levels of throttle issues from bike to bike. My vmax had a much more interesting throttle issue that just about put me on my ass once or twice...but the FZ seems quite tame, comparatively speaking.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't notice it either (or the heavy clutch pull that others complain about). All of my bikes have different/unique control requirements and I don't have a problem going from bike to bike.

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't notice it either (or the heavy clutch pull that others complain about). All of my bikes have different/unique control requirements and I don't have a problem going from bike to bike.

Exactly. I noticed the heavy clutch pull when I picked up my sons bike...first thing I did was remove the lever & lubed the cable but it was the pivot bushing that was nearly frozen that I believe was the issue. It never ceases to amaze me what the smallest amount of routine maintenance will do for some of these supposed issues people deal with.