Battery Problems. New or Charge??

sterling fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys & Girls

Im having a few problems with my bike starting.

When i got the bike it started fine, however i wasnt insured so i had to park it in the garage. A few days later (4/5) i went to turn it over to keep the battery 'alive' and it woyldnt start.

When i pushed the engine start;The ABS light would come on and the engine problem light would flash (until i let go of the switch). I kept trying then the bike woukd struggle and the electrics would flash out.

I had the same problem with a car a few years back so im guessing its the battery

I managed to push start it (saturday) as i had insured it and wanted to take it out. And when it was finally up and running it would start fine aslong as it is within a few hours of riding.

The past 2 mornings where the bike has been left for 8hours or more it wont start right away.I get the same lights appearing. Then after leaving it for a few mins and trying a handfull of times it eventually starts.

Has anyone had any problems of the same sort?

Im thinking of getting a new battery, if that is the case can anyone reccomend a decent battery that wont empty the bank.

Thanks in adv.

Sterling (noob!!!!) :)

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
I go like 5 months without starting the bike and it fires right up in the spring. Original battery. The AGM's that come in them can sit for long periods of time without much self-discharge. They also last at least 8-10 years. FYI... Putting a battery maintainer on it can easily destroy the battery. You can't add electrolyte once it gases and there's hardly any to begin with as they're absorbed glass mat. And since they discharge at 1/10th the rate it doesn't need one anyway. That is the biggest killer of modern bike batteries.

I would try charging thoroughly first. If the problem persists get a new one. Make sure it's a sealed type (VRLA).

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Replace the battery. mine would do the same thing with a weak battery (sits 4-5 days and it won't start). Even after 3 days it would be weak. Fortunately it almost never sat that long, but with a new battery the problem is gone.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
the symptom sounds like the ones i had on my car. the battery had a shot cell and wouldn't keep charge. i kept it on a charger everyday and it barely had enough juice to start the car. if the car didnt start on the first attempt you ve had it! i had the battery load tested and it confirmed that it was shot. i did not replace it suddenly because i had no money to spare on a battery for a diesel car. we re talking at roughly 140 dollars to get a half decent battery, more if you opt for varta/ bosch/banner

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most places that sell batteries will load test it for you. That's a good way to confirm the battery is bad. Sounds like your battery is done.

sterling fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys,

I managed to get hold of an optimiser and put it on charge over night. so far so good. Lets just hope it keeps up!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys,

I managed to get hold of an optimiser and put it on charge over night. so far so good. Lets just hope it keeps up!!

Good on the optimizer but if you have a bad battery the optimizer will only give you short resolve. I would still have the battery load tested and why not check that the charging system is working. The optimizer is a great tool but it is no replacement for a health battery and charging system.