Benefits of Penske (or any other aftermarket) Shock

mgmidget72

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

When I bought my '04 FZ-6, it came with a Penske rear shock (8981 w/remote res.) and emulators in the front that the original owner had installed. Not having ridden this bike with the stock suspension, I'm just curious the difference these changes made. In my day-to-day riding (solo commuting, two-up evening and weekend trips, no track riding at all), what differences would I notice?

Thanks,
Scott

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably not a ton other than better compliance over rough pavement (think choppy pavement and/or mid-corner dips and depressions) when moving at speed.

The bike simply tracks better and stays more composed when the pavement is less than stellar or when you put bad inputs into the bike.

When really moving, the bike is better able to handle the above during cornering, better able to keep the rear glued to the pavement when pouring on the power or when dropping gears, and the front is more compliant and potentially provides better feedback when braking hard and trail braking with the front.

I'm probably leaving things out...

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Hi,

When I bought my '04 FZ-6, it came with a Penske rear shock (8981 w/remote res.) and emulators in the front that the original owner had installed. Not having ridden this bike with the stock suspension, I'm just curious the difference these changes made. In my day-to-day riding (solo commuting, two-up evening and weekend trips, no track riding at all), what differences would I notice?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

If you ever want to part with your Penske, I'm sure there are many people on here (like myself) who would trade you a stock shock and some money for it. :)

I really want an aftermarket shock, but can't pay full price for a new one.