Big Texas Pie Run - January 30, 2010

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Fizzers,

Are you interested in going up to the big TWT Pie Run in Hico, Texas?

If you want, let's plan on meeting at Seward Junction, Texas (just outside of Austin) at the gas station located at the intersection of 29 & 183 on January 30th. at 8:00 am.

I expect to meet quite a few FZ riders at our destination at The Koffee Kup in Hico, Texas on US281 and SH6. I have counted about almost seventy bikes of all types joining up in Hico.

Fred

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
High chance we re coming from DFW....:BLAA:

We met the Austin group at Seward Junction with about 18 bikes already there. The trip up was cold averaging 28 degrees most of the day and a few patches of ice from the heavy rain the previous night kept everyone on their best riding behavior. The bar ditches were full and iced over which provided for a surreal sensation. I am glad I wore my Gerbing jacket and properly layered!

2010PieRun1_Hico015.jpg

P1302470.jpg

1-30-2010.jpg

After lunch at the Koffee Kup in Hico everyone took the quickest route back..except me and two other guys. After almost 400 miles, we made it home. Looking forward to the next one!

Fred

Last edited:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about it, but it was just TOO cold.

You made a good choice, especially without heated gear. Such cold weather can slowly impair judgment reaction time. When this starts to happen, hypothermia is making it's appearance. :(

I used a battery powered core jacket series which worked quite well. I was even able to stuff some heated warm pockets into my shoes and gloves. Although the tips of my finger still managed to get very cold when we hit 26 degrees for several miles.

The good news is it hit a balmy 43 degrees the last few hours coming back to Austin.

Attached is the map of our return trip. I suggest this ride when the weather gets warmer.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I just now saw this thread. I'm sorry I missed it.

Although it was pretty cold yesterday, so maybe I'm not totally sorry.

Fred

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
The pie run was organized by a group called Two Wheeled Texans (Two Wheeled Texans). They do one of these every month. Next months is closer to Houston, but if you're in the mood for a ride I'm sure that's not too far.

This was a special occasion in as much it marked the 5th anniversary of the 1st pie run. I got my bike late last year and haven't got to attend any events yet. I was planning on making a LONG ride of it yesterday, but the temps swayed my decision so I stayed at home.

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was just beyond my limit without any heat gear to ride out.....
Tried on saturday evening which was even worst...I didnt get far so I figure I wont make it on sunday...
Heck we gotta do some local DFW gathering for FZ6 next time...hope I m still welcome with you all, since I sold my FZ6 to TWT member last month