Braided Stainless Brake Lines

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 turns sweet 16 this year. And so do the OEM brake lines. Time for a replacement/upgrade. I went back and forth (for many months) on which brand to get. As luck would have it, my DRZ turns 18 this year and it too has is original from-the-factory brake lines. So the DRZ got CoreMoto lines and the FZ got Galfer Brake lines. I installed both today back-to-back, so I have a good feel for the quality of both kits.

Out of the bag, the CoreMoto kit is of higher quality. From the lines, to the hardware, to the instructions - it’s just put together better. The Galfer kit is nice, but the line stay is low quality - and they only supplied one for my two line kit.

With the old Synthetic DOT 4 drained and the old lines removed, I was ready to go.

1BF031EC-A14D-4BCD-83F0-CC6D649D1EBC.jpeg
This is a two line kit, meaning just that - two lines exit the master on a single double banjo bolt, with a line going directly to its own caliper.
DB39D20F-612F-43E9-B448-BD750EC11D35.jpeg
Like I mentioned, the hardware isn’t that great. The line stay didn’t fit and required some reshaping to get it to fit into position.
FA6ED36C-8C33-4F05-AF56-44966D602797.jpeg
The kit only had one stay. Luckily I had an assortment of Adle clamps and was able to make due with a 3/8” clamp, M6x25 bolt and a nyloc nut.
4FFD5CBB-2392-43AF-BE3E-E8FD6698CE00.jpeg
I have a love of zip ties, so after everything was torqued to factory spec, I began to tie everything down to reduce any chance of chafing.
638C737B-B5AA-4BF6-9A4F-BF790D04AD4E.jpeg
This spot was the only one that concerned me. Both lines run next to the instrument cluster bracket. I made two nylon sleeves and made sure the sleeves wouldn’t move by securing them with upper and lower zip ties, then I secured the lines to each other so there wouldn’t be any movement.
AECE3AB6-1B9F-402A-BA98-8A2BEB92ACAD.jpeg
This one probably isn’t necessary but it keeps the line from catching any wind.
2267DD6D-075F-4BC4-A6EE-78AAE65B2B18.jpeg
Sorry for the sideways photo. It came out very clean. I also removed the bracket for the horn and made a new one that is less “in your face”. In all it looks cleaner than the OEM lines.

It’s all bled and ready to go. I’ll come back and give my impressions when I get the bike back on the road in the spring.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just posted on the other thread.

This pic was to show a ZUMO 590 harness tucked up but it also shows, that when I had the two
SS brake lines I ran them down thru the throttle cable bracket.

If you look a little lower, I made a "hook", rubber hose covered it, (lines could fit thru W/O removal) and that was bolted to a threaded hole on the bottom of the triple. Took some time but I was able to route the lines where really nothing was rubbing, especially turning the forks.

Might be something to consider /further mod if you feel it needs it..

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very timely for my sake. Steel lines are on my winter todo list. The ones on my '07 are original, and I wouldn't doubt it if the fluid is as well. The previous two owners barely rode it.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job, braided lines are my #1 mod, coupled with new brake fluid & clean brake pistons they are one of the cheapest ways to make your bike feel MUCH better.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just posted on the other thread.

This pic was to show a ZUMO 590 harness tucked up but it also shows, that when I had the two
SS brake lines I ran them down thru the throttle cable bracket.

If you look a little lower, I made a "hook", rubber hose covered it, (lines could fit thru W/O removal) and that was bolted to a threaded hole on the bottom of the triple. Took some time but I was able to route the lines where really nothing was rubbing, especially turning the forks.

Might be something to consider /further mod if you feel it needs it..

I LOVE this shot of Scott's bike. It's the only time I see dirt :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I LOVE this shot of Scott's bike. It's the only time I see dirt :)

Bikes fairly clean. Did service the rear brake floating brake pin's, etc. Thought the pads were worn(looking from the side) but their still half there.. Pin's WERE STICKY thou..

Who needs a stinking kickstand???

How bout:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And just finished fixing a "mechanic's" customers Stihl concrete saw...
He ((a lil older than me)), brings me ALL his commercial concrete saws, Stihls, Hilti, Makita, etc.
Guess their hard for him to pull start..

And that was after (feel free to start a discussion) fixing my zero turn mower (free of course-rebuilt the engine), front tire slow leak with a "Steelman combo patch / plug" .. It's a 1/8" plug with a patch for the inside of the tire.

Great for bikes and no way for it to come out...(not for sidewalls of course)..

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That'll buff right out.

Scott, start a thread and give us the gory details and what the plan going forward may be? You're a little too mature to go naked I think :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That'll buff right out.

Scott, start a thread and give us the gory details and what the plan going forward may be? You're a little too mature to go naked I think :)

Them gory details are from the previous owner (my friends, KIDS, first bike, bought it brand new on 2007). A 17 year olds first bike, :( I bought the bike in 2009, 4,500 miles, with THAT damage.

He beat the piss out out of it, lubed the chain ONCE in 4,500 miles. Don't think it was ever washed till I got it in 2009.. The other side (left) was just fixed after trying to wheelie but was NOT successful in his landing....

I like the naked look but prefer the fairing, at least until I drop it at 0 MPH and bend up the fairing stay (and don't ask about that)..

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm glad there's an old story for the photos and not a new one.

Funny, my bike was also owned by a teenager (friend of my son). He tried his best to care for the bike, but there are some dings and scratches here and there.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm glad there's an old story for the photos and not a new one.

Funny, my bike was also owned by a teenager (friend of my son). He tried his best to care for the bike, but there are some dings and scratches here and there.

Kids!!!! If you had your second one first, you would never have your second one!

Fooling of course.