Bruised bike and pride :( (Bike tipped while stopped)

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it finally happened after 5 years with this bike. I was about to turn left out of a parking lot when I saw a car coming, so I stopped somewhat abruptly with the bars turned pretty far to the left, throwing me off balance. I almost saved it, but alas, I tipped it over and my FZ6 hit the ground at a stop. I don't have frame sliders installed, so there is just a bit of damage on the left side points that touched the street--mirrors, bar ends, clutch lever, left front fairing, and the left rear fairing piece that sort of juts out a bit (which got it the worst).

The cherry on top is that I strained my lower back picking it up. I had never picked up a tipped bike before, so I tried to remember what I had read about. I grabbed the handlebars and grab bar and lifted with my legs, but I didn't realize I needed to plant my butt on/under the seat for leverage. The adrenaline/frustration was strong at that point so I was just focused on getting it back up. Overall, the injury is probably about equal with the damage to my pride: A bit sore today, but should be fine after another couple of days.

Even though I'm frustrated, I'm also just trying to look on the bright side: Injuries involving motorcycles can be much, much worse, and I'm thankful it wasn't something more serious. Overall I'm healthy and the damage is relatively minor. Mostly I'm just pissed at myself for losing concentration and letting it tip in the first place, and then not taking my time while pick it back up. :spank:

Anyway, let the healing begin--for my back, my pride, and my bike. I would really appreciate any links to threads/pages for replacing/fixing body stuff. I haven't had much luck using the search function here. I'll grab some pictures later today and post them up for damage assessment and commiseration.

Thanks in advance for any help with repairs or just any uplifting words. I've always found this community to be super helpful and supportive, even though I don't post much. :) Cheers.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It happens. I've done it, once not even on the bike (kick stand NOT fully extended on a slanty driveway), SUCKS.

If an 07 or newer, the left "mole" (that goes partially around the headlight is likely scuffed.

Sit on the bike on the CC and look forward. You want to ascertain if you bent the main fairing stay(about 50/50 shot).
Your looking to see if one side is higher or lower than the other. Also check the fairing to fuel tank gap to see if the left is now
pushed.

Left foot peg, the "feeler": probably bent the aluminum peg, re-place.

Left mirror likely scuffed, bar end and as stated, clutch lever broke. Hopefully you didn't scrape up the main fairing or bend the stay.

IF the fairing is badly scuffed-stay bent, count on the headlight assembly busting off some of the 4 PLASTIC mounts. (JB weld those back on)

(My last was $600 in parts alone (my labor).)..

The "fix" isn't that hard, take your time.

BTW, for lifting the bike,

(1) Make sure it's in gear.
(2) If on the left side, turn the steering to the left.
Back yourself up to the bike, grab the left passenger holder with left hand, right hand to handlebar grip.
Squat down, use your legs and walk the bike upwards.
(3)Kick out the kick stand (bike won't roll, it's in gear) and set the bike on it.

Right side pick up:
(1) flip down Kick stand, click in first gear
(2) Repeat as above just using opposite hands,

Now, kick yourself, (as I do), and figure the bike will later look better with all the new parts you'll need....

Mine, fixing the previous owners damage once I bought it:

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First time in five years, that is not bad. Curious, did you ever take the MSF - BRC class? Even after they have overhauled the basic class a few years ago, they still omitted on how to properly pick up a bike. And whenever a rider drops a bike out on the range, since they are training bikes and very light weight, we pick them up by the handlebars. Essentially every student watching the coaches picking the bike incorrectly.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear but glad you are basically ok
Hope you get better soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
It happens. I've done it, once not even on the bike (kick stand NOT fully extended on a slanty driveway), SUCKS.

If an 07 or newer, the left "mole" (that goes partially around the headlight is likely scuffed.

Sit on the bike on the CC and look forward. You want to ascertain if you bent the main fairing stay(about 50/50 shot).
Your looking to see if one side is higher or lower than the other. Also check the fairing to fuel tank gap to see if the left is now
pushed.

Left mirror likely scuffed, bar end and as stated, clutch lever broke. Hopefully you didn't scrape up the main fairing or bend the stay.

IF the fairing is badly scuffed-stay bent, count on the headlight assembly busting off some of the 4 PLASTIC mounts. (JB weld those back on)

Back yourself up to the bike, grab the left passenger holder with left hand, right hand to handlebar grip.
(3)Kick out the kick stand (bike won't roll, it's in gear) and set the bike on it.

Right side pick up:

Now, kick yourself, (as I do), and figure the bike will later look better with all the new parts you'll need....

Mine, fixing the previous owners damage once I bought it:

My friend, you rock! Thanks for the tips on what to look for, most of that stuff wasn't on my radar. The most noticeable scuffs are on what I found out is called the left "side cover," which if I remember correctly from poking around trying to do my own fender delete, should be a pretty easy pop off/pop on fix. The other cosmetic stuff isn't too bad, so I think I'll leave it and just look for the other issues you mentioned. Hopefully nothing else is bent/uneven, I was pretty close to saving it, so the impact was probably pretty light.

Sounds like I did things about right, so I wonder why I strained my back. Maybe I'm just a weakling :D Feeling better after a couple days, so it probably wasn't that serious of an injury to begin with.

Thanks again, man! Any favorite places to order OEM stuff from? I've found most of it on BikeBandit, which I've used before, just wondering your preferences.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
First time in five years, that is not bad. Curious, did you ever take the MSF - BRC class? Even after they have overhauled the basic class a few years ago, they still omitted on how to properly pick up a bike. And whenever a rider drops a bike out on the range, since they are training bikes and very light weight, we pick them up by the handlebars. Essentially every student watching the coaches picking the bike incorrectly.

Thanks for the support. And yes, I actually took the Basic Rider Course before I got my first bike in 2008 or so. Miraculously, I don't think anyone in our class actually dropped one the entire time, so I think my only input is what I've seen online. A couple years ago I thought about taking the intermediate course, but never got around to it. Maybe it's time to look more seriously again for next season.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot about the stator cover.

I just sold TWO used ones(from tip overs) that I refinished them.

You don't even have to remove it... Get an electric sander (I used a 1/3 sheet) and gently
go at the scrapes with it (using medium paper, then to lighter paper). The scruffs you have are
right on edge of the cover. Even my worse cover, they came out great and after re-paint, you couldn't tell.

The OEM paint is ridiculously expensive.

VHT high temp ENGINE PAINT, model #SP405 Black Pearl (for black cases-auto parts store) is super close-(NO complaints from the buyers on E-Bay) (and it was posted they were sanded and re-painted, got $55 a piece, shipped for em)

Rust-Oleum Metallic, model 7271 silver metallic is pretty close for silver cases.

Looking back, NOW, I'd sand that cover while on the bike. Don't prime, just get super clean. Tape up real well and tape the entire cover off. The black covers excellent, the silver may take a couple of light coats.

I've found Partzilla a bit cheaper than the rest, excellent customer service and VERY fast shipping.

Last edited:

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site

pushed.

Right side pick up:

How did you fix the tank? Did you just replace altogether?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you fix the tank? Did you just replace altogether?

Lightened my wallet by $600 for a new one.. The posted pic was from the PO wrecking and sliding.

It's been replaced at least twice since. One member here bought one of em (very, very minimal damage that the buyer couldn't see even thou it was pointed to the area).(Yes, I'm that anal and MUCH more cautious being in a hurry...

It gets expensive for a simple "tip over" on a faired bike. .All my "crashes" are at 0 MPH, engine NOT running or backing up :(

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Lightened my wallet by $600 for a new one.. The posted pic was from the PO wrecking and sliding.

It's been replaced at least twice since. One member here bought one of em (very, very minimal damage that the buyer couldn't see even thou it was pointed to the area).(Yes, I'm that anal and MUCH more cautious being in a hurry...

It gets expensive for a simple "tip over" on a faired bike. .All my "crashes" are at 0 MPH, engine NOT running or backing up :(

Wow, that's a lot of money. My tank has 2 small dents and some scrapes, as well as hail damage from the PO. Trying to decide if I should replace it, paint it or what.

Kinda wish the FZ has a fairing over the tank like the sport bikes have, instead of a metal tank. Would make replacing a whole lot easier/cheaper.

Thanks for the info on the side cover paint, I will definitely be doing that.

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you escaped more serious injury. You're right about the back. We're often too pumped with adrenaline and in fear of pride loss try too hard to 'get out' of the situation rather than take your time and take it easy.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Partzilla is a bit cheaper for a new tank (my current one is from them): $530ish

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W FUEL TANK Diagram

That's pretty much why I don't replace the emblems on the tank. Keeps folks guessing too what it is :)

BTW, sold the old tank for about half the price of a new one so it didn't hurt so bad...