Bubbling paint

Y

yourebarred

Just bought a FZ6 and loving it so far. It is pretty much mint or so I thought, until I gave it a proper clean today. To my dismay, I discovered some bubbling paint on the engine. Anyone else had this?
Can this be stopped in its tracks, or better still mended?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a professional ACF50 treatment done. They'll clean the bike to a level you won't believe, removing any more contaminants, then the entire bike will be coated with ACF50 which will stop the corrosion in its tracks, and prevent any more taking hold. Depending on usage, it'll need doing annually, but if you're a high mileage rider, every 6 months is best.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a professional ACF50 treatment done. They'll clean the bike to a level you won't believe, removing any more contaminants, then the entire bike will be coated with ACF50 which will stop the corrosion in its tracks, and prevent any more taking hold. Depending on usage, it'll need doing annually, but if you're a high mileage rider, every 6 months is best.

I *think* that only works when it's in direct contact with paint. Unfortunately in this case there would be a layer of paint between the metal and the ACF50.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are aluminum parts and have corrosion (not rust) underneath the paint.

The only way I know of to repair it is sand, or take it down, to bare alumiunum, prep it and repaint or powdercoat.

Salty roads, marine enviroment is usually the main culpret.

Here's a link for the ACF-50: http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acf-50.htm Reading up on it, it does stop the aluminum corrosion however the paint already bubbling up will not go away without some mechanical help (see above).

Last edited:
Y

yourebarred

So whip those covers off and get them painted, then get the ACF50 treatment sounds like a plan.

I actually was looking at place in Berkshire that does a full valet and the treatment for £50, seems well worth it.

In terms of doing the paint myself, what kind would I look for, and how to colour match?

Thanks for the help guys, and while am at it, I may as well ask about these side guards of the radiator, the only rust I can see on the bike. Is that common too? And how to treat this wee problem?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So whip those covers off and get them painted, then get the ACF50 treatment sounds like a plan.

I actually was looking at place in Berkshire that does a full valet and the treatment for £50, seems well worth it.

In terms of doing the paint myself, what kind would I look for, and how to colour match?

Thanks for the help guys, and while am at it, I may as well ask about these side guards of the radiator, the only rust I can see on the bike. Is that common too? And how to treat this wee problem?

Same, sand them, get some good paint and re-paint.

I believe "Color-rite" has the exact color spray paint however its like $35.00 US a rattle can....:(

The side radiator covers, a good engine heat paint, (semi gloss black) or preference change in color would be fine. Some guys remove them altogether..

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine done by All Year Biker. They're excellent, absolutely brilliant at what they do, and they're all a bit bike mad. It's definitely worth seeing if there's one of them near you. They just gave me a £10 refund for my next booking in May because...............I dunno. Was just nattering with them on Facebook the other night and they gave me some money off! Lol

Halosmart Products

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
at least the corrosion is only on the engine covers. i would be mad seeing that corrosion. you would have to remove them and sand them down very well and take them to be powder coated.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you're not confident in your sanding and painting skills buy new ones..theyre relatively cheap me thinks..:D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
at least the corrosion is only on the engine covers. i would be mad seeing that corrosion. you would have to remove them and sand them down very well and take them to be powder coated.

The powder coat guy I used to use, they have their own sand blasting (or other blasting element) poducts (and booth) and blast before any powder coating.

Of course getting the exact color will be near impossible. Just cooking the same part slightly longer changes the tint..

IMO, I'd just replace with new. Sell those as used for half price (their still very, very usable). Someone with an engine that meet the pavement, would snatch them up..

BTW, others here, have re-painted with only a slight variance in paint color (depending on how anal you are about the color). You could sand it while still assembled, tape off the covers, and re-paint right on the bike..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the OP pictures - it looks like those are already repainted as they don't match in texture or color.

Media blast would be a good option vs attempting to sand into all those tight spots. Then go for paint.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
From the OP pictures - it looks like those are already repainted as they don't match in texture or color.

Media blast would be a good option vs attempting to sand into all those tight spots. Then go for paint.
I thought it looked like it had already been "repaired", too.

OP, just follow what these guys are saying. It is a bit of work, but if the corrosion bothers you, it'll be worth it.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I would just be buying used ones and replacing the part all together. By the time you spend to remove the parts, sand prep paint, you may as well just of got a "new" part and not have to worry that the job wasn't done 100% right.

Y

yourebarred

They are definitely original parts, never been replaced.
Not sure where you are getting the idea that replacing them would cost the same as a respray. I couldn't find the covers for less than £100 per side.
I see that the work involved in sanding and respraying may put some folk off. For me, it's my commuter vehicle, so I would need a couple of days of no work and holed up with food in the house!

Last edited by a moderator:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure where you are getting the idea that replacing them would cost the same as a respray. I couldn't find the covers for less than £100 per side.
I see that the work involved in sanding and respraying may put some folk off. For me, it's my commuter vehicle, so I would need a couple of days of no work and holed up with food in the house!

Its pettty much wear and tear from daily use in the elements.

In your case, if it bothers you, sand those spots clean, wet sand and get the old paint to blend in. Then tape off and get some good, quality, rattle can (or track down "Color rite" for the correct color, again about $35.00US last time I checked) and spray paint.

That can should go aways in the future too. :thumbup:

Color rite: Motorcycle Paint Products - ColorRite

FZ6:
Yamaha FZ-6 Motorcycle Paint - ColorRite

If you go thru the model, year, etc, step (should be the first one), it'll walk you thru to your bike, then to the wheels, frame etc for an exact color match.

Last edited:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm not saying it would be cheaper. I'm saying it would be easier and give you a better quality product in the end;) As for it being your commuter vehicle... that reinforces the idea of just buying new(or used) ones. That way they're not off the bike for a couple days at the painter and you just remove the old and reinstall the new. Just my 0.02