charging at 16.5V!

Mikilufz6

Reaction score
Visit site
My fz6 is charging (while at 5000 rpms) at 16.5V. I replaced the rectifier and it give me the same problem. It continues to charge at 16.5.

The Ac Voltage output from the stator is at 13-14 vAC. Any suggestions?

Checked the Diodes in the R/R The oem has a .510 and all three and the aftermarket new one has .425.
I did it just like the video posted by another member.

Nvm replaced it with the new one and waited an hour to let the battery go down to 12.5 no load bike off… charges at 13.85 at 5k RPMS

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The variation in the diodes is not uncommon. What i don't know is the NO load output being above 15. It sounds like the shunt is blown open on two of the RR.

Do you trust this meter? Can you verify it on something else? If your system is at 16.5v i suspect your battery to be bulging, incandescent lamps to be failing also.

As for the AC on the dc output. Mine was upwards of 1vac @8000 rpm. Thats rms and its not at 60 hertz so im not sure what the meter is really detecting as output is 3 phase.

Also, your battery dropping to 12.5V after an hr seems a bit much. A fully charged healthy 12v battery should be > 12.85v at 70°f. Mine after months of sitting remains at 12.99V using a brand name meter...