Cheap way to make the seat comfier??

Wiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Long time "Iron Butt" member here (1170 miles in 17 hours my personal best) My best advice is the cycle shorts, (I too have some from LDComfort) take a quick break 5 min works great when you begin to "feel" your butt (1hour 45mins for me), and don't be afraid to use baby powder in your shorts. This is a life saver, even more so if it is hot. There is actually a product called "Monkey Butt Powder" that you may be able to find specifically made for this application. If you can't find that, regular baby powder works okay too. The thing is to keep it dry, works on your feet too.

Don't forget to drink lots of water. You want to "have" to hit the bathroom at every gas stop. If you aren't, then you haven't drank enough. You need the hydration to maintain concentration. Besides, the walk there and back gives your buns a needed break and flex.

Good Luck, there is nothing like a long trip to get all the daily hassles out of your mind and refresh your soul.

I rode 680 miles last weekend in 2 days, I was just starting to get in the "zone" when I got home.

Have a great time, watch out for the idiots out there!

Wiz

Morcs

Reaction score
Visit site
After an hour on the stock seat my butt hurts.

I dunno If you guys are all have some body cushioning, but im all bone, and the seat simply doesnt have enough support, and my butt goes numb after an hour - even with a cigarette break, withing 5 mins back on the bike, the numbness returns at full pain!

Ive heard gel seats generally arent that much of an improvement.

Every sports bike I have owned and ridden longs distance have never given me any comfort problems whatsoever - bar my wrists...

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for the cycling shorts. I also went to Ikea and got a little sheepskin for $30 bucks, cut a chunk to fit the seat, and used double-sided tape to hold it in place. Cheap and cheerful and you can get at least 2 "seat pads" out of one of those sheepskins. Good luck!