checking oil level

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last oil change, with filter, I put in exactly the right amount of oil (2.8L from memory) and it reads over the top of the dipstick.

As it did last time.

I much prefer the way I checked the oil on my Z750.

There was a little window on the side of the sump. Warm the bike up and put on the centrestand (or hold upright). If the oil was just below the top of the circular window, it was perfect.

I find that when I check the oil in the FZ6, I invariably slide the dipstick down the side of the hole and get an incorrect reading.

Cheers,
Rick

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have it up on the center stand, ran the bike for a few minuets and checked the level by just setting the dip stick onto the hole, didn't screw it in. It reads right at half way between full and low with 2.6 liters added.

I did use a slightly larger oil filter, so I might just add a little more to get me to 2.8 liters and call it good.

Thank you for the help!

Last edited:

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my oil and filter. put in 2.8L of castrol oil. is it better to check the oil level when cold or hot? its just that when I check it after its warmed up the oil is runny and have difficulty telling where on the mark the oil is up to :BLAA:
would the oil be thicker when cold and give a better reading??
thanks
A

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my oil and filter. put in 2.8L of castrol oil. is it better to check the oil level when cold or hot? its just that when I check it after its warmed up the oil is runny and have difficulty telling where on the mark the oil is up to :BLAA:
would the oil be thicker when cold and give a better reading??
thanks
A

Per the 07 manual, Yamaha wants the bike just warmed up a few minutes (not after a long, hot ride), sit for a couple minutes on the centerstand, then check it.

So yes, the oil is a little thicker than when hot..

Hint, once the dip sticks out, hold it horozontal so the oil doesn't run up or down the stick(it'll change the reading), rotate it you need to, you should be able to see the level fine.

My oils got 300+ miles on it, (super clean), just checked it tonight, no problems seeing it on the stick...