Chinese Steering Dampers?

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can we hear from someone who has had a steering damper on their FZ6? [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION], you had it at one point right? Pros/cons/etc rather than the "you don't need one" reply which I see far too often?

i have the ohlins steering damper n it has saved my arse plenty of times. i am a VERY spirited rider and i also do track days. i thought of it as a necessity. one situation was i hit a recently dead deer carcus on the parkway at night, straight on going about 50ish, dented both of my rims! i think without the damper i would have been toast.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't help you OP directly.... but I do have this.

There's reason to do it on the FZ, especially mine.

Spirited cornering in the twisties can sometimes leave me with a loose feeling front end, especially if the road is rough. Add in potholes, the possibility of someone being a hoon and pulling wheelies, and idiots like me who shorten their front forks to fit clip ons onto their FZ and you have a great reason for using a steering damper before you throw track riding into the equation.

So, are you saying you raised the stanchion tube up through the triple enough to attach a clip on? If that is the case and your bike resembles any part of the OEM REAR ride height I can imagine its squirrelly as sh$t! I know 14mm is pretty scary at speed where as 8 to 10mm is good.

So, i've had it there at 14, 12mm, 10, and found that 8mm rocks. Mind you both ends are not stock. My rear shock has the same 300mm eye to eye length as OEM with a 29 mm sag (basically stock #5 setting). This gives the bike an acceptable rake making it very nimble on the R6 forks.

Just my 2cents; if you haven't dropped some coin to fix the front and rear suspension, your money could be better spent setting the bike up for what you intend to do with it.
Its likely are styles are not all that different and mine has non of these tendencies. I've made allot of road stops making adjustments until I obtained the results I expected with the suspension. I guess what I'm saying is, work on the suspension as a $300 part up top is not going to make up all of the other deficiencies below the bars.