Clutch cable too short or spring deteriorated?

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
So, to start on Monday just setting off from work and shifting up through 2nd then into 3rd the clutch cable snapped right a the lever - which was a learning experience to try and deal with and an horriffic sound from stalling the bike in that gear as I came to a safe stop.

Had a new one delivered to work, where I wheeled it back to. It seems to be just a bit too long despite matching the old one when I took it out. With everything on it's max, I can't seem to get it tight enough - the lever operates the clutch but doesn't pull back.

A mate suggested that the spring down at the clutch case seems weak and has perhaps deteriorated, could this be a cause or is there just something else stupidly obvious i'm missing?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, to start on Monday just setting off from work and shifting up through 2nd then into 3rd the clutch cable snapped right a the lever - which was a learning experience to try and deal with and an horriffic sound from stalling the bike in that gear as I came to a safe stop.

Had a new one delivered to work, where I wheeled it back to. It seems to be just a bit too long despite matching the old one when I took it out. With everything on it's max, I can't seem to get it tight enough - the lever operates the clutch but doesn't pull back.

A mate suggested that the spring down at the clutch case seems weak and has perhaps deteriorated, could this be a cause or is there just something else stupidly obvious i'm missing?

Did you get a GENUINE OEM, YAMAHA cable?

I've never heard of the return spring (at the engine) failing and seriously doubt its the issue. With a new OEM cable, the mid-adjuster should be maybe halfways out, tops. My original cable is about halfways out at the mid-adjustment, 18,000 miles currently. Replacing the cable, you should NOT have had to mess with that spring on the lower clutch "arm".

I gather the inside cable is too long, is that correct? Or is the cable just sticking?

If its an E-Bay, Chinese knock off, IMO, return it, buy the correct cable, install it and be done with it..

The arm at the engine end and the spring should only go on one way.

Below are pic's of my spring, arm. Double click to enlarge;

Last edited:

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks very much, nothing was sticking as I lube the cable before trying to install it anyway. I was hoping that the part was at fault rather than something else and checking my order it's a 'compatible part' not OEM so I'm sending that back and have ordered an OEM one now from a garage not too far away.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks very much, nothing was sticking as I lube the cable before trying to install it anyway. I was hoping that the part was at fault rather than something else and checking my order it's a 'compatible part' not OEM so I'm sending that back and have ordered an OEM one now from a garage not too far away.

There's nothing like an OEM part. Some aftermarket parts are cheaper for a reason... That should solve your problem... :thumbup:

Was the spring on the engine clutch release arm as it should be?

Also, PLEASE post once the new cable is installed, how it went.

*BTW, the inside frame, plastic, cable retainer can be removed without issue. It'll save you from lifting the tank, R&R the air filter, etc to access the cable.
I cut mine mine off years ago (there's no place for the cable to go) and makes it MUCH EASIER pull the cable to acess the mid-cable adjuster (if need be) or R&R the entire cable.

I suspect that retainer is there ONLY for the factory, when they assemble the engine to the frame, it'll hold the cable in the approx area until the engine is in the frame..

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
So, came back from a short break to find the "OEM" clutch cable waiting for me - only to find its from the same manufactuer with the exact same part code as the first one that was too big so wasn't impressed with that.
Ordered from wemoto.co.uk for a next day part which came today, photo matched to the original I have and went off to work where my bike is stored to fit. Still no luck.

Two things I'm looking at, still suspecting the spring it seems to pull partially and I need to push the lever back up to return, without the engine on the bike does click through gears this way but the second thing that concerns me is that when the clutch is pulled in with the bike in gear there is a lot of resistance in the wheel as if it is in gear - this is the same for when I push the arm the spring connects to all the way in.

The pictures were taken today showing what happens before and after the clutch being pulled in.

picture.php

picture.php

Edit: the piece of metal around the clutch cable is just a paper clip I fashioned to keep it from popping out as I broke the little retainer, it's the same operation with or without it.

Next stop will just be having it taken to a garage methinks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, came back from a short break to find the "OEM" clutch cable waiting for me - only to find its from the same manufactuer with the exact same part code as the first one that was too big so wasn't impressed with that.
Ordered from wemoto.co.uk for a next day part which came today, photo matched to the original I have and went off to work where my bike is stored to fit. Still no luck.

Two things I'm looking at, still suspecting the spring it seems to pull partially and I need to push the lever back up to return, without the engine on the bike does click through gears this way but the second thing that concerns me is that when the clutch is pulled in with the bike in gear there is a lot of resistance in the wheel as if it is in gear - this is the same for when I push the arm the spring connects to all the way in.

The pictures were taken today showing what happens before and after the clutch being pulled in.

picture.php

picture.php

Edit: the piece of metal around the clutch cable is just a paper clip I fashioned to keep it from popping out as I broke the little retainer, it's the same operation with or without it.

Next stop will just be having it taken to a garage methinks.

Three things, its hard to see with the metal piece you have there BUT is the spring in the SAME postion as I posted in post #2?

Second. If they sent you the exact same part, same part #, and DOES NOT SAY YAMAHA on the bag, its NOT a Yamaha, OEM part.

Three, maybe I'm misreading but is part of the return spring broke??, thus the steel you put on there to retain it? That spring and the clutch springs, are the ONLY things pulled the cable and lever back out. That spring is critical to be intact and installed correctly...

Can you post a pic of the label that cable came in? I strongly suspect its the same NON-OEM cable

Also " I fashioned to keep it from popping out as I broke the little retainer, it's the same operation with or without it."
No, it does work and is intregal in pulling the cable and returning the clutch lever.. Again, that spring has to function, if its broke, that's a good part of your problem. It should be pulling the lower clutch arm outwards..

Last edited:

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, just picked the bike up from the garage today, had some other bits and bobs done while it was there like a much needed new battery.

Just to clear up, it was 3 cables I ended up ordering. The first one from ebay, then the "OEM" one I ordered which was identical before the final one was an actual OEM cable.

They said I fit it correctly but had to adjust the clutch arm and the clutch was also fading but that's to be expected after 53k miles. It feels nice and a strong pull, pings back out so need to just get used to setting off and little more gently so I don't come aross as a hooligan with one wheel on the ground!

Anyone in the UK midlands region, had great service as always from CMC Nottingham. They have a few branches and seem to keep expanding. Very informative, quality labour, plenty of extra work thrown in free and best of all they collected from my work, 7 miles from their garage - charged me just £8 for it.