Comfortable Motorway/Highway cruising speeds

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the good thing about riding a 600: fast enough for the road but still more frugal than a car, even with expensive tyres.

For long trips I won't use the full fuel gauge anyway. I take it down to two bars then hit the next petrol station. Gives me a chance for a break, get a drink, stretch my legs.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At 70-80mph I still get ~48mpg. Dont forget I have a 17t up front, so I don't know how much of an effect this has on it.

JJS209

Rider / Mechanic
Reaction score
fz6-fazer.gp-bikes.de
Same here. Also gas is dirt cheap in the US.

I don't know how you guys even care about MPG ;)

exactly the same what i was thinking.

btw: mpg? use the freakin metric system and behave normal like the rest of the world! i really need to laugh every time i see this "funny" units... lol
elbows, inches, feet, come on guys...

and you really care about your fuel consumption on a motorcycle? in america? really?

its a joke that the usa e.g. hit on VW for emmisions. ok, cheatin is uncool, but:)
you freakin use 30 years old engines in your "new" american cars AND how much mpg do US cars need in average? no need to talk about technical evolution there...

the good is, i have a lot to laugh :)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site

btw: mpg? use the freakin metric system and behave normal like the rest of the world! i really need to laugh every time i see this "funny" units... lol

and you really care about your fuel consumption on a motorcycle? in america? really?

its a joke that the usa e.g. hit on VW for emmisions. ok, cheatin is uncool, but:)
you freakin use 30 years old engines in your "new" american cars AND how much mpg do US cars need in average? no need to talk about technical evolution there...

I'm very excited that the US is getting the ford focus rs. Spring of this year.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site

- Americans won't go to a metric any time soon cas it requires to learn something new, no matter now easy it is :). In some cases it is in metric, but 90% of time is in Imperial.
And to add to your laughs, liquids measurements, temps in Fahrenheit... etc.

- Fuel consumption. Well just more than a year ago it was about $4/gallon! No laughing matter providing that unlike in Europe, we need a car per each member of a household cas the public transportation is next to non-existent outside of the big cities. And most of America lives that way. Although our gas is cheaper, we still consume more than Europeans per family.

- VW could do better than cheating, but the whole "clean emission" thing is a joke by itself comparing to the nature (Vulcan’s, reoccurring periods or ice-age, sunbursts, etc.)

- American cars aren't BMW :).
Historically American cars were aimed on comfort not on performance and technical evolution...

Oh, and Germany has also speed limits in some section on autobahn, and everywhere on other roads :)

Last edited:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Folks, Jumping from a GSXR 750, to FZ6, it obvious that the fz6 will be more buzzy on motorways than fully faired bike.
On my GSXR 750 I'd glance at the clock and would be doing 80 mph, It felt like 30 mph in real time.

Hopped on fazzy the other day felt like I was going 120 mph, when I was going 80! lol Just something to get used too! Blah
What are you lads and lassies comfortable cruising speeds?

Next mod will be a taller screen, being 6"2 me thinks me need one.

Hope ya'll had a great crimbo!

ps, R.I.P Lemmy.. Legend!

Man, going from GSXR 750, to FZ6... of course you'll feel like that. Maybe FZ1 would do better for you.
As for the wind, no shield is 100% good for LD touring. Unlike the ADV bikes, FZ6 gauge cluster is lower, so the windshield is also will always sit lower, unless you'll put an ugly oversized one.
But I have a spoiler over the DB screen and it's just ok. In the summer I use a cut-down stock. Doing 80-95mph is fine. Keep in mind that the stock speedometer runs at about 8% higher.

Pplater

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm from Singapore. Generally cruising 100-120km/h. When touring on Malaysia's North South Highway, i tend to cruise at 150-160km/h with my wife. She is also riding a FZ6S. Both bikes are 2004 models. I am using the stock Yamaha high windshield (+9cm over the standard low windshield) while she uses the Puig high windshield, also 9cm taller i think. Its pretty comfortable cruising speed. If I am riding alone on Malaysia's highway then cruising even at 160-200km/h is ok. I rarely go above 200. Gear 3 and 4 takes this bike up to 200km/h easily but above that speed it creeps too slow, so there's not much point. I feel that this is a plus point for the fz6 as opposed to a 400cc bike. With a 400cc bike, you really need to work through gears 3 to 6 to get up to 180 whereas on the fazer, gear 3 brings you through twisty mountain roads at 40-80km/h easily without changing gears much and overtaking up to 180-190km/h is a breeze.

My point is that the fazer is really comfortable cruising over a range of speeds. It really depends on the rider. I've seen riders cruise only at 100km/h despite riding 1000-1200cc bikes, so... :confused:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site

Well you do not have all of your facts in order. The Cadillac is not using a 30 year op engine and is beating the best M edition BMW has to offer, with its "modern" engine.

The corvette back in the late 80s had a dual overhead cam V8. It was a great engine. There must be some good reason GM went away from that and returned to the pushrod engine. They are getting great power from it, and again, beating the best BMW has to offer.

The only place I use the metric system, is at the liquor store. It has not improved my enjoyment of drinking Gin, Bourbon, et al.

This space intentionally left blank.