Confirm fork cap socket size? 24?

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a fairly decent collection of sockets but wasn't able to get my fork caps loose (prior to loosening the lower triple clamp, as recommended by a friend).

Seemed to be close to 15/16 but I assume they are metric, which would be 24mm.

Can someone here confirm before I go shopping? :confused:

Thx much

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I do believe you're correct... and next to nothing uses 23mm or 25mm anyway, so if it's about 15/16", it is indeed 24mm.

I don't know why you need to loosen the fork caps to loosen either triple clamp, though.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a 24mm, just checked on my 04. You need to loosen the top triple clamp pinch bolts then loosen the caps then loosen the lower triple clamp pinch bolts . . .

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know why you need to loosen the fork caps to loosen either triple clamp, though.

other way around, really. I ordered hyperpro springs and I need to pull the forks to take to a friend's shop to work on them.

He was pretty explicit that if I don't loosen the fork caps while they're on the bike, there is no way to get a firm enough grip to do so once they are out.

Photo Al's procedure is confirms what I've been told. Thanks. :thumbup:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Enjoy the new springs! When you put it back together you will need to reverse the procedure to torque the caps. Also don't forget the do the ole put everything together "loose" except for the lower tripple. Tighten the lower tripple clam pinch bolts then bounce the front a few times to make sure everything is lined up. There are a couple of good posts on how to do this on the forum - I'm too lazy to search or I'd add a link. :)

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Enjoy the new springs! When you put it back together you will need to reverse the procedure to torque the caps.

Thanks! at 43k miles and seven years they're pretty tired, I figured if I was replacing the oil I may as well upgrade the springs.

Hey, uh, while you're here, whats the torque spec for the fork caps and triple clamps? :confused: