Coolant Qty

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys i changed coolant yesterday on my 2007 FZ6S. Everything went pretty smoothly. But when i poured coolant into radiator it filled full at 1.25 Liters. Let the bike idle, still the same. Tried to burp by opening the radiator cap and idled the bike for a min or too (too scared to run further) no air nor the level has dropped. The drained coolant was not much either some what the same amount.
Has this happened no anyone here?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you allow the bike to heat to running temperature before dropping the coolant?

Sounds like the thermostat didn't open, so you've effectively just refilled the radiator, not the cooling system.

Cheers,
Rick

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you allow the bike to heat to running temperature before dropping the coolant?

Sounds like the thermostat didn't open, so you've effectively just refilled the radiator, not the cooling system.

Cheers,
Rick
Hi Rick

I did not actually. The manual did not ask me to do that, should i be?

This is what i did:

1. Remove Coolant reservoir
2. Drain and clean Coolant reservoir
3. Remove Radiator cap
4. Remove Coolant drain bolt (water pump)5. Drain:
6. wait for it to drain and pour distilled water into radiator until l see clear water running from the drain bolt
7. Install Coolant drain bolt
8. Fill Coolant reservoir
9. Install Coolant reservoir
10. Fill radiator
11. Install Radiator cap
13. Start the engine, warm it up for several
minutes, and then stop it.
14. Check Coolant level

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if you just didn't wait long enough to drain ALL the distilled water before reinstalling the coolant drain bolt? .....did you notice how much distilled water you poured in....and how much came out?

Last edited:

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if you just didn't wait long enough to drain ALL the distilled water .....did you notice how much distilled water you poured in....and how much came out?

Hey PFD023,

The flow was pretty instantaneous. As soon as i poured it came straight out. I see a slight drop in the reservoir(after 60 odd km ride today), but that is 30 ml or so, but i have not checked the radiator itself. I will check that again some time.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Capacity is suppose to be 2.0l as an fyi.....maybe is has something to do with the coriolis effect since you are south of the equator?.....lol.
Good luck....sounds like this one is beyond my grade 3 technical skill level.

Last edited:

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Capacity is suppose to be 2.0l as an fyi.....maybe is has something to do with the coriolis effect since you are south of the equator?.....lol.
Good luck....sounds like this one is beyond my grade 3 technical skill level.

Is there a way to check concentration to make sure i have not left distilled water in the cooling system before filling?

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Rick

I did not actually. The manual did not ask me to do that, should i be?

This is what i did:

1. Remove Coolant reservoir
2. Drain and clean Coolant reservoir
3. Remove Radiator cap
4. Remove Coolant drain bolt (water pump)5. Drain:
6. wait for it to drain and pour distilled water into radiator until l see clear water running from the drain bolt
7. Install Coolant drain bolt
8. Fill Coolant reservoir
9. Install Coolant reservoir
10. Fill radiator
11. Install Radiator cap
13. Start the engine, warm it up for several
minutes, and then stop it.
14. Check Coolant level

Best way to bleed the system is to run the car with the rad cap off, jam a plastic funnel in the rad neck to prevent overflow, top up the coolant if it gets low. Wait for the fans to come on and off a couple times and you're done.