demo ride "hard shifting" question

turk

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife is looking at theFZ6.We went to the Dallas Int'l motorcycle show and demo rode the FZ6R.
We both were concerned with how it "clunked into gear.My wife's 1983 gpz550 is much smoother when changing gears.
I have a 2000 ZRX1100 and the shifting isn't as smooth as the gpz550,but doesn't have that "clunk" that we experience withthe FZ6R.
I am hoping it is the fact that they were "Demo" bikes.
She will be buying a used FZ6.She loves the FZ6, but is concerned about this.
Any advice would be welcome....Al

It took me a little while to get used to the notchy shifting on my FZ6, but it got easier the more I rode it. There's definitely a trick to shifting smoothly, but I'd say it's normal and doesn't deter me in any way. A change in oil also helped.

As was said, quite normal for the FZ6. After changing to synthetic oil, the clunk has mostly disappeared, still clunks when going from neutral to 1st, but the rest of it is great.

:rockon:

My wife is looking at theFZ6.We went to the Dallas Int'l motorcycle show and demo rode the FZ6R.
We both were concerned with how it "clunked into gear.My wife's 1983 gpz550 is much smoother when changing gears.
I have a 2000 ZRX1100 and the shifting isn't as smooth as the gpz550,but doesn't have that "clunk" that we experience withthe FZ6R.
I am hoping it is the fact that they were "Demo" bikes.
She will be buying a used FZ6.She loves the FZ6, but is concerned about this.
Any advice would be welcome....Al

As others have said, this is normal for an FZ6, but once you get used to it, there is a knack to becoming smoother, plus the gearbox tends to "smooth out' as the bike wears itself in....from about 15000km's on....i am at about 35000km's now, and my gearshift is smooth as...

And at the risk of starting yet another oil debate...good quality synthetic oil does seem to help.

:thumbup:

Thanks everyone for your replies;the informative and the funny.Now my wife is talking a new fz6r(the old bait and switch)...Al :thumbup:

Last edited:
Yes as others have said it does clunk. One question though. Is your wife looking at the FZ6 or the FZ6R? To majorly different bikes.

FZ6:
09MS_FZ6_blu_S3_8e8ed636.jpg

Or

FZ6R:
10MS_FZ6R_blu_S3_a74de4b1.jpg

Yes as others have said it does clunk. One question though. Is your wife looking at the FZ6 or the FZ6R? To majorly different bikes.

FZ6:
09MS_FZ6_blu_S3_8e8ed636.jpg

Or

FZ6R:
10MS_FZ6R_blu_S3_a74de4b1.jpg

We really didn't start to do our research into the differences untill tonite.
Wanted to sort out the "clunk" thing first.I see what you mean by major differences.
Thanks for the help!...Al

Absolutely! As far as the clunk goes, It really doesn't bother me. It has never caused an issue for me. The buell blast is alot worse... lol

From what I've heard the FZ6R is meant to be really smooth, so might be a bit of a concern if its an issue when trying one out.

That being said on the FZ6 its noticeable, especially when you first try one, Wolfman pretty much nailed it though, it gets better and good oil helps.
I also find being a bit more aggressive on the revs really helps, and its only really noticeable between first and second gear.

I would think pretty much any new bike is gonna be clunkier shifting
than a 1983 with WELL worn in synchros...and the GPZ550 was a great
bike in the early 80's era, I wanted one in the worst way but was still
in high school at the time and all I could afford was a 1973 RD350 :D

Well I got my new FZ6 2 weeks ago and was about to ask the same question!
From 1st to 2nd I can't seem to gear without "CLONK", the rest, I think at about 4000 rpm seems smooth enough..... sometimes.....

By the way my right hand gets numb after 15/20min riding!
Anyone else get the same? Why?

From my experience on the 06 FZ6 the clunk between 1st & 2nd is a non issue. What I have found is if I do a lazy shift I get clunk. But if I do a quick shift from 1st to 2nd it's almost non existant. In any case it is a total non issue on my bike. Clunk or no clunk it's never been a problem.

Well I got my new FZ6 2 weeks ago and was about to ask the same question!
From 1st to 2nd I can't seem to gear without "CLONK", the rest, I think at about 4000 rpm seems smooth enough..... sometimes.....

By the way my right hand gets numb after 15/20min riding!
Anyone else get the same? Why?

You might try thicker grips. It works for me. I also like the FZ1 bars better.

OK... some help on the clunky gear shifting thing... are you referring to the loud clunk that we hear when we shift? Or is it tough to shift? I bought my 04 w/ 23k miles on it... I hear a clunk... but the thing doesnt buck shift any rougher than any manual car Ive driven... which is more than I could say than other bikes Ive been on...

Just curious what the CLUNK is going on...

Back