Different oil change intervals between USA and European bikes?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys,
I was just looking at our manual and I see the difference in oil change interval between USA's manual and non-USA's manual.
Same with FZ09 model too.

European model manual:
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/owner-manuals/index.aspx#IM6LGmxRggsOQK0D.97
Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 12.40.57 AM.jpg

USA manual:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/2008/lit-11626-21-60_fz6_1458.pdf
Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 12.40.52 AM.jpg

Even the filter is not needed to be replaced until 20k Kms.

Is there any build quality difference between them, based on the country it got released?
Were the oils sold outside USA are any different to that of sold here in USA/Canada?

Last edited:

fate

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the build quality is any worse in the US. Because all Bikes are usually build in Japan.

The main difference is the motor oil quality. European ACEA is much stricter than US API Standard. Also "synthetic" oil really have to be synthetic in europe.

I guess you can just look for ACEA A3 compliant Oil in the US and do 10k km... Not miles keep that in mind ;)

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the build quality is any worse in the US. Because all Bikes are usually build in Japan.

The main difference is the motor oil quality. European ACEA is much stricter than US API Standard. Also "synthetic" oil really have to be synthetic in europe.

I guess you can just look for ACEA A3 compliant Oil in the US and do 10k km... Not miles keep that in mind ;)

Yes, KM, I did not compare miles to km.
Okay, so, better oil outside USA..!

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Many oils fulfill both the European ACEA as well as the US API classifications. The European grades have stricter requirements to meet.
It's worth mentioning that I have not seen the FZ manual state an ACEA oil requirement. Have you? So if the requirements are stated in API standards we cannot conclude that the oils in Europe are superior, given that the user is looking for the API grade e.g. SL.
I would say the most likely factor for the difference in the oil change interval is the fuel standards and their differences whatever they may be.