Do you use a pinlock on your helmet?

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a heck of time with my Shoei fogging up last winter and decided to buy a pinlock for it as it was 44 degrees this morning, so fall is on the way. In reading the instructions (yeah, I know, shame on me :spank:), I noticed it says to periodically remove the pinlock so the silicone doesn't permanently adhere to the faceshield. My question for y'all is, do those of you with pinlocks do this? It seems like it'd be a hassle to me but then, I don't want to buy another faceshield either. Thanks gang.....

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't bother, and it's never happened. But then I'm on my third visor this year, with the fourth coming in a month or so I reckon. Which pinlock have you bought? The standard or the new "100% max vision"?

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't use the anti-fog shield. I got one with my Schuberth and never used it because it was too much of a PITA to take in and out and "barely" fit right. I just use rainX antifog wipes on the inside and never have any real problems down to 35F (granted, mostly highway).

Not really the answer you wanted but the pinlocks are just pegs in my faceshield now.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried one on my Schuberth last winter, and at night (well, early morning) the headlight glare on the plastic itself (not fog) was actually worse than fogging. I used it for two mornings and then tossed it.
When its time to replace the expen$ive Schuberth, I'm going back to a Scorpion EXO-1000; that faceshield had an anti-fog coating built into it that worked well.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have one from my Arai Signet Q and have only used it during the fall and winter months. I cannot leave it in the visor. If I do, it becomes a liability at dusk. I get halos around everything. This is very bad at dusk and after dark. Arai's instructions do not recommend leaving them in at night, and, for me, rightly so.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I leave my pinlock in all year round, ride day and night in all weathers. never had a problem. great piece of kit.

mountaincycle

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using HJC 's pinlock on my HJC CL17 with NO fogging up issues.

4 weeks ago, I picked up another HJC FG-17 Helmet. I waited for a few cool morning to prove to myself if I really need the pinlock...
well, my answer is: Friday, I install another pinlock.. so, yes on the pinlock. :thumbup:

I too leave my pinlock in all year round, ride day and night in all weathers.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of my riding is morning daylight and dusk with only a few night rides each month
The pin lock is great in winter but really bad in the warmer evenings with headlight glare a real pitb i replace it and the visor about once a year to minimise minor scatches causing major flare.. Bout due now, going into spring- ill buy the pinlock so its there for autumn (fall). Running a shoei 1100 anyone got good/ bad thoughts on the nxr or 1200 or other shoei's for that matter

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a heck of time with my Shoei fogging up last winter and decided to buy a pinlock for it as it was 44 degrees this morning, so fall is on the way. In reading the instructions (yeah, I know, shame on me :spank:), I noticed it says to periodically remove the pinlock so the silicone doesn't permanently adhere to the faceshield. My question for y'all is, do those of you with pinlocks do this? It seems like it'd be a hassle to me but then, I don't want to buy another faceshield either. Thanks gang.....
I've always used Fog City inserts, but tried a pinlock (On my RF1100) few tears back 'n really liked it.
They work better than the fog city, and I never took it off, (So the silicone wouldn't stick?) butt, after 'bout a year 'n a half the seal did break, and it started fog'in up. I tried to adjust those eccentric pin thingies, but it never sealed again. :(
Then I got me an iridium face shield, and went back to Fog City inserts. The best combo fer day ride'in, but sucks at night. Now I just bought me a SHOEI GT Air, cuz it's got one of them thar drop down dark visor thangs, and it came w/ a pinlock. :thumbup:

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
My pinlock stays in all the time - got caught out on a horrible night (in alleged spring) without it once, never again.
The pinlock is very easy to scratch (using paper towel to dry it will scratch it), which I did slightly the first time I cleaned it, and it seems to benefit from being removed occasionally to breathe (it absorbs moisture). It does make vision on a perfect day slightly less than perfectly clear, but as I said, I am never, never being caught out without it again!

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I have pinlock for my helmets...HJC. Never had a problem with them sticking to my shield but it is not hard to take off and put back on. I love having it on

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Used my pinlock this morning for the first time and LOVED IT! I had no fogging whatsoever, although I did notice a bit of the halo effect one or two folks mentioned but it was minimal and not a distraction. I also had no problems seeing (it was o'dark thirty at the time) even though my face shield is lightly tinted. I'm a convert. Thanks again everyone for the feedback/input.