Dual Sport?

idahorider

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my FZ6. It is everything I had wanted in a bike. I do have alot of friends with v-stroms, KLR's, etc. Anyone every made any mods to make the FZ6 a little more off road friendly?

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
How offroad are we talking? Fire trails, gravel, easy dirt roads, etc. - it's fine. For real dirty stuff, it just doesn't have the suspension and ground clearance.

Maybe you could screw with the suspension - but for the money and effort, you might as well get a cheap road-oriented dualsport (DR650) or dirt-oriented dualsport (DR-Z400S).

If you've never ridden on dirt, it's always good to start on something small and light that you don't mind dropping. Dirt is a whole new world (and a lovely one, but one that involves picking up dropped bikes a fair amount).

idahorider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Just want to do some dirt roads. Idaho has some beautiful areas that are off road. A buddy of mine is a welder. Thinking about having him make a pan to protect the bottom end.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
You are better off buying a cheap used older dual sport. There are mid-80's Honda XL 500's that can be had in decent condition for $500-$800. This is the bike I learned to ride on. Plenty of power and will run forever. Or spend a little more on a DRZ400S (The SM is a lot of fun too). You can also try to find a used KTM EXC series bike or even a Husaberg or even a Honda XR650R that has been converted. I find these for around $2000 all the time with street plates ready:thumbup: to go.l

kalli

In the middle of the pond
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a used DRZ S to use on trails/gravel roads. I also use it in the winter when the roads are Icy and Salty, Even though is costs some money to run two bikes I can go riding whenever I fell like it without worrying so much about the salt.

H

HavBlue

I love my FZ6. It is everything I had wanted in a bike. I do have alot of friends with v-stroms, KLR's, etc. Anyone every made any mods to make the FZ6 a little more off road friendly?

The FZ6 has 5 inches of travel in the suspension and to a certain extent will do well on class 3 fire roads. This bike actually has more travel than my old DT400 Enduro. Yes, it would be best to have a duty specific bike but don't let that stop you from enjoying the sites as the FZ6 can go off road.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a dual sport as well, but I wouldn't be afraid to take the Fazer on dirt roads. As long as it's dirt and not mud. My stock rear tire doesn't have a chance in mud..

As long as it's dry and not too technical, I'd say go for it. Obviously the more you do to protect the bike, the better.

Have fun. Post lots of pics!

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I've taken the FZ down every type of road. Sand, gravel, and even mud! It will handle most roads just fine, but take it easy in the muddy stuff. It's no fun cleaning it after the mud roads either.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
I got a suzuki dr 650 great bike I love it, But its more for street, Whenever I go off road with it, it is like luxury off roading . I couldn't do the same stuff on the 650, as I can on my rm 250.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just moved from Colorado to Texas, (I know it sucks but the job could not be passed up) before the move I wanted a dual sport preferable the dr650, the amount of off road riding area is unbelievable and the ability to drive instead of trailer is very appealing. Compared to Colorado and other place's I've lived, Texas sucks in public land. I've also lived in Utah and Arizona. Please pity me :(

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
How about D616? Also, Softer front spring(Spring for latest TDM850 will fit) with little much more preload in fork would help you.

Y

yukon_alex

I just ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires for the roads, paved and not, in the Yukon. I can't wait to see what they will do. The stock Dunlops on my bike have worked great everywhere but on gravelly surfaces. I am hoping the Pirellis will help.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
adventure.jpg

tomandreann

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife rode her FZ6 from Anchorage to Dawson, in last year's Dust to Dawson ride. We put D616s on it and it has the fender eliminator. It worked like a charm. She did just fine on the Denali Highway, 135 miles of dirt, and the Top of the World Highway into Canada, 79 miles of dirt. She also rode the poker run on jeep trails in and around Dawson. There were two KLR650s along as well. The FZ6 did everything they did. She is now considering selling her KLR650 (the red one in the pic) and sticking with the FZ6.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode a KLR650, Super Tenere, and a Versys this last weekend. To be honest you could probably ditch the Fz6 for the Versys and still have just as good a time on the street and be better suited for the dirt. The Versys only lacked maybe 10% of the power of the Fz6 and I didn't top it out but I'm guess your 100+ runs on the Versys will not be as easy. The Versys did have a little more torque punch in the lower RPM though.

If money was not a concern, I would buy a Super Tenere and keep it in the garage. It was great on the street and I see how it could be very capable off road. Watch the Ride Apart Super Tenere vs KTM 990 Adventure youtube vidoe.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
This threads from 08 lol

But what the hell that's never stoped me from runnin my mouth before. I've put a lot of miles on a klr650, fz6, and vstrom I'd agree that the fz6 can do a lot but a dual sport it will never be, I really wouldn't even call the strom a dual sport more like a overweight high centered bike that can go offroad lol as far as the verseys power if you didn't top it out then that's why you think they are pretty close power wise it kinda flat lines about 5/8 through the revs just like most twins. If anyone wants to do some serious dual sporting than true dual sports are the only way to go, like KLRs and DRs the big dual sports are nice but just too heavy to have real fun off road, but then again who's to say what "real fun" is other than the person riding it themselves

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
This threads from 08 lol

But what the hell that's never stoped me from runnin my mouth before. I've put a lot of miles on a klr650, fz6, and vstrom I'd agree that the fz6 can do a lot but a dual sport it will never be, I really wouldn't even call the strom a dual sport more like a overweight high centered bike that can go offroad lol as far as the verseys power if you didn't top it out then that's why you think they are pretty close power wise it kinda flat lines about 5/8 through the revs just like most twins. If anyone wants to do some serious dual sporting than true dual sports are the only way to go, like KLRs and DRs the big dual sports are nice but just too heavy to have real fun off road, but then again who's to say what "real fun" is other than the person riding it themselves

You're right the Versys does top out before the FZ6. I think I topped first at about 58 on the Versys and my Fz6 used to top out at 66-ish. The Versys doesn't have that kick in the pants feel, but it is a pretty smooth and consistent power band.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
If money was not a concern, I would buy a Super Tenere and keep it in the garage. It was great on the street and I see how it could be very capable off road. Watch the Ride Apart Super Tenere vs KTM 990 Adventure youtube vidoe.

I've seen the Tenere and GS1200 in the dirt,rocks and gravel at Death Valley and let me tell you dirt bikes they are not. Over weight pigs with no ground clearance, when we (I was on my KLR) got to the real rough stuff those bikes had to turn around, but 15 miles later there was a KTM Adventure 2 up doing just fine.

I wouldn't want a gen II KLR as Kawi made a pig out of that too.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Who needs a dual sport bike eh?
I'm filming from my FZ6 :D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDRqhXcz2ZQ]Cumbria - YouTube[/ame]

Though I do now own a KTM 690R enduro for such riding as it's much more fun :rockon:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode a KLR650, Super Tenere, and a Versys this last weekend. To be honest you could probably ditch the Fz6 for the Versys and still have just as good a time on the street and be better suited for the dirt. The Versys only lacked maybe 10% of the power of the Fz6 and I didn't top it out but I'm guess your 100+ runs on the Versys will not be as easy. The Versys did have a little more torque punch in the lower RPM though.

Solid comparison on the Versys! Tops out at 121 indicated, for any wondering ( reliable sources have informed me ;) )

My smartass reply was going to be buy a Versys but if your just hitting dirt roads some aggressively treaded tires will work. Maybe a gravel radiator guard if they make one for the FZ. But past fire roads you'd do well to get a bike geared more to offroad- v-strom, Versys, BMW gs or a real dual sport like an xr 650 or a KLR... Never been a fan of the KLR tho, even the Kawi guy I am.