Engine Cutting out randomly

Nzero

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I am hoping one of you might be able to help me out. I have been struggling with the engine randomly cutting out while riding on my 05 FZ6 for the last week. I have saw a few other similar posts about issues like this. but I have not saw any that really find a resolution. Most say check the kill switch, check the stand switch, cables,, etc. Here are the symptoms and the things I have checked/done so far. I am just looking to try and pinpoint the issue a little more before I start throwing money at random parts. (trying to stay in a budget)

Symptoms

When it first started I was at highway speed when the engine cut out for a quick second that caused the bike to lunge forward, Then it came right back. a few miles later it did it a 3 more times. but after the 3rd time the engine completely cut out. the lights and gauges all stayed on, I pulled the clutch in and hit the starter but nothing. While still coasting I flipped the kill switch off and on then I was able to start it again. After that I was able to ride it the rest of the way home (about 35 miles) no problem. Since then it has done it multiple times. The only difference is sometimes it will cut in and out and other times it will straight kill the motor. each time I flip the kill switch and turn it back on no problem. it will do it randomly at speed, slowing down, idling, or accelerating.

Things I have checked.

- Checked contacts on kill switch
- Checked cables for stand switch, kill switch, and ignition (at least ones I can get my hands on) for breaks or bad connections.
- Checked stand switch (seems to be working as it should)
- Checked Battery connections and connections under tank.

there is no error codes that are shown

Note
I can simulate the exact symptoms by putting it on the center stand, starting it, putting it in gear. then push the kick stand half way down and releasing it when it starts to cut out and it comes right back. This makes me feel like it is something in that ignition circuit.

Thanks for any help

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I am hoping one of you might be able to help me out. I have been struggling with the engine randomly cutting out while riding on my 05 FZ6 for the last week. I have saw a few other similar posts about issues like this. but I have not saw any that really find a resolution. Most say check the kill switch, check the stand switch, cables,, etc. Here are the symptoms and the things I have checked/done so far. I am just looking to try and pinpoint the issue a little more before I start throwing money at random parts. (trying to stay in a budget)

Symptoms

When it first started I was at highway speed when the engine cut out for a quick second that caused the bike to lunge forward, Then it came right back. a few miles later it did it a 3 more times. but after the 3rd time the engine completely cut out. the lights and gauges all stayed on, I pulled the clutch in and hit the starter but nothing. While still coasting I flipped the kill switch off and on then I was able to start it again. After that I was able to ride it the rest of the way home (about 35 miles) no problem. Since then it has done it multiple times. The only difference is sometimes it will cut in and out and other times it will straight kill the motor. each time I flip the kill switch and turn it back on no problem. it will do it randomly at speed, slowing down, idling, or accelerating.

Things I have checked.

- Checked contacts on kill switch
- Checked cables for stand switch, kill switch, and ignition (at least ones I can get my hands on) for breaks or bad connections.
- Checked stand switch (seems to be working as it should)
- Checked Battery connections and connections under tank.

there is no error codes that are shown

Note
I can simulate the exact symptoms by putting it on the center stand, starting it, putting it in gear. then push the kick stand half way down and releasing it when it starts to cut out and it comes right back. This makes me feel like it is something in that ignition circuit.

Thanks for any help
Ok, starting from the beginning..... THE most common cause of this on the FZ6 is the kill switch. You said you 'checked the contacts...'. What exactly did you do? If as you said flipping the switch on and off restored power, then start there. The BEST thing to do is to rebuild the switch. There are instructions on this site, but essentially you dismantle the switch, use an eraser to clean the contacts, use generous amounts of contact cleaner, then reassemble with liberal amounts of dielectric grease. The connector at the end of the wire from the kill switch is not a problem, it is the internals of the switch itself.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your engine quits the bike does not lunge forward but your weight does.
Besides your kill switch there are a few different issues that can cause the described issues.

You could have an open wire in the ignition harness that makes n breaks. It could be the solder connection at the bottom of the Ignition switch is making intermittent connection. It could be a bad harness plug condition. It could be intermittent kill switch contacts. Check that your side stand spring is keeping the side stand snug in the up position.

Nzero

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. Given everything I was reading in different forums. The red kill switch and stand we the first places I looked. For the kill switch I took it completely apart and checked the contacts (both outer and inner). besides a little wear I they looked good. next I went to the stand. The spring holds good and doesn't allow it to move enough to when it is up. I checked the cables for breaks and checked contacts on the stand switch. I have been trying to find a wiring diagram to see where both cables go back to but I haven't had much luck.

@Motogiro you mentioned the solder connection on the ignition switch. is that internal to the ignition switch (like I have to take it apart)?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. Given everything I was reading in different forums. The red kill switch and stand we the first places I looked. For the kill switch I took it completely apart and checked the contacts (both outer and inner). besides a little wear I they looked good. next I went to the stand. The spring holds good and doesn't allow it to move enough to when it is up. I checked the cables for breaks and checked contacts on the stand switch. I have been trying to find a wiring diagram to see where both cables go back to but I haven't had much luck.

@Motogiro you mentioned the solder connection on the ignition switch. is that internal to the ignition switch (like I have to take it apart)?

There are wires soldered at the bottom of the ignition switch assembly. It's important to keep in mind that when working with the ignition wiring you should disconnect the battery. Just the negative lead is all you need to disconnect on the battery. Tuck it away so as not to make accidental connection with the battery post.

First as we all agree, you want to address the kill switch and jump it to eliminate the possibility of intermittent contact failure. As long as the key is in the off position, you won't need to disconnect the battery for the jumper. Just don't allow the jumper to have any contact with ground.

Nzero

Reaction score
Visit site
So today I put a temporary jumper between the 2 lines on the kill switch. I took it out for a short ride and had no issues.

When I got back I removed the jumper and took the kill switch back apart. Then I cleaned the contacts (even though I felt they looked fine). When I took it apart I manged to lose the one spring. But when I put it back together it seems to work perfectly fine. Took it out for about a 2hr ride after that and didn't have any problems.

Thanks for your help guys. I swear if you saw the contacts you would have moved on to something else.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So today I put a temporary jumper between the 2 lines on the kill switch. I took it out for a short ride and had no issues.

When I got back I removed the jumper and took the kill switch back apart. Then I cleaned the contacts (even though I felt they looked fine). When I took it apart I manged to lose the one spring. But when I put it back together it seems to work perfectly fine. Took it out for about a 2hr ride after that and didn't have any problems.

Thanks for your help guys. I swear if you saw the contacts you would have moved on to something else.
Good job!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Red Kill Switch strikes AGAIN!

Glad it's fixed.. BTW, it seems the more you use it, the more likely it'll be an issue.
Also, the contacts can be great but W/O enough pressure holding them together, all bets are off.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it's fixed.. BTW, it seems the more you use it, the more likely it'll be an issue.

Can't tell you - after having this happen to me, and replacing it - how super-ultra-rarely I use my kill switch. Like, more times by _accident_ than on purpose. Not sure if that's the correct moral of the story, but there we have it.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't tell you - after having this happen to me, and replacing it - how super-ultra-rarely I use my kill switch. Like, more times by _accident_ than on purpose. Not sure if that's the correct moral of the story, but there we have it.

Yep, but always start with the obvious. The BRS (Big red Switch) is the weakest part of the FZ6. I never use mine, but about 2 years ago, on a day when I had nothing to do, I disassembled and cleaned mine out of concern over the numerous times that this has been a issue.

Nzero

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to use mine most of the time. Since I have my phone mount center on the bars. Its just easier to hit the kill switch, then I grab the key after I get off.