Estacada, hwy 224 Pit 36 Wild Fire @4500 Acres, 45% containment

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A week later the fire continues. So far no homes have been lost but folks had to evac again due to high winds breaching the fire lines. Water bombers, boride bombers and choppers have been flying over all week. The water bomber are scooping from the Columbia River and dumping it on the fire lines while the choppers dip from the Clackamas river at North Fork Reservoir.

Lots of critters being displaced, farm animals across the land are spooked by the planes flying so low. Plenty unseen casualties beyond the fire lines.

If you're a facebook person, pop in "Estacada Pit 36 Fire Watch" and theres details from many folks about the progress. Here are some pictures below...

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL PERSONS supporting fire suppression this summer!! Thanks Folks! :thumbup:

FROM: http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=596601&postcount=25 Post 25 on 2014-09-16
MEGA SUCK! Some careless target shooters lit up the forest. Last report was 3600 acres and no containment of the blaze. Houses are now being evacuated and some of the best riding, camping, fishing, hiking, areas are being burned as we speak.

I'm not sure why they call it "The 36 Pit Fire" but that's what it is. Areas around Hwy 224 and headed towards the town of Estacada can be seen here.

InciWeb the Incident Information System: 36 Pit Fire

I rode up there last night to have a look and roads were block and people were moving out their belongings. It was a sad sight. I mention it here to remember it as its the portal to many of the posts in this thread.

The Red dot is where I took the pic from. The blue is where the road is closed through the pass.
55001d1410897899-2014-adventures-final-impact-pnw-rides-pics-2014-09-15-224-fire-jpg

55002d1410897899-2014-adventures-final-impact-pnw-rides-pics-img_20140915_182654_747-jpg

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
This is tragic and is happening more often. Does anyone think that maybe the logging companies should be allowed to at least cut firebreaks again, like they use to.Maybe thin out older sections and plant new trees. I have no data but when they stopped logging the forest fires seemed to be happening more often.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is tragic and is happening more often. Does anyone think that maybe the logging companies should be allowed to at least cut firebreaks again, like they use to.Maybe thin out older sections and plant new trees. I have no data but when they stopped logging the forest fires seemed to be happening more often.

Talked to one of the rangers last night, they don't have the "final details" but perhaps it was a "tracer round" which lit the grass / forest on fire. It's still under investigation. But Pit 36 is a mini rock quarry where shooters fire off rounds.

Here is the perfect example of how senseless people are. Note, this area also has dry grass along the freeway....

To the driver of the silver Lexus SUV w/Oregon plate "SKEPTIC" - as a mid forties male you have right poison yourself with cigarettes. However, you have NO RIGHTS THROWING THOSE BURNING CIGARETTES out of your automobile! Get your act together!!! Actions of that nature cause suffering for others! WAKE UP!

2014-09-22, Time: 6:35AM, Hwy 26, West bound ~ MP 72, silver Lexus SUV w/Oregon plate "SKEPTIC"​

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They opened it up to mile post 31 so you can get to the top of the hill again.
Your looking at smoke and and some much needed rain in the valley.....

attachment.php

From 30 miles away....
Previous location was midway between Mt and right side of pic.
attachment.php

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update from NFS shows 80% containment as of 2014-10-05.

Roads remain closed to free range folks. Home owners can use them. Could be a rough winter with land slides onto the roads as the rain and snow come.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorists: Please be careful when you throw your cigarette butts out the window! While you're at it, also please be careful when you text and drive!

Wait....on second thought, please don't even throw butts out the window and DON'T text and drive!

I work near an airport and this past season has been a regular CalFire air operation with planes, one after another, taking off to drop fire retardant loads.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You could get through if you had an AV bike.

You're making an assumption that "you" won't become part of the landscape when the land slides! :eek::eek: That could be all she wrote right there....

FWIW: As of last week the fire is still burning. Contained, but too many hot spots to put out some two months later.