Ever been laughed at for "gearing up"??

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A guy in my paramedic class gives me sh** for wearing my hi-viz scorpion helmet. I just come back with, "yeah well you're the one who dumped his bike last year without a helmet on :Flip:." He also rides a zx1000r and he tries making jokes about how "slow" my bike is. The other week we went on a ride through some twisty roads and I was at least 1/2 mile ahead :BLAA: I like bringing that one up too haha

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Constantly...........because I look like this:

christmas-story-snow-suit.jpg

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever you say, skin crayon. :D

[Edit] A very old CMSgt saw me walking into work in full gear about a year ago and said I looked like ultraman. I had to look it up to see what he meant.

Ultraman66_S1V1.jpg

Last edited:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
A guy in my paramedic class gives me sh** for wearing my hi-viz scorpion helmet. I just come back with, "yeah well you're the one who dumped his bike last year without a helmet on :Flip:." He also rides a zx1000r and he tries making jokes about how "slow" my bike is. The other week we went on a ride through some twisty roads and I was at least 1/2 mile ahead :BLAA: I like bringing that one up too haha

A future paramedic has that attitude?!? Wow. I imagine after a few real life accident scenes he changes his outlook. And I hope that happens before he wrecks the next time.

ATGATT.. You get used to it quick

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i've been made fun of.. but then again i don't really care what others think.. i have seen some bad gearless crashes and known a few people that are no longer with us due to various motorcycle related reasons..

but gear makes you look cool.. my sidi boots are way more commented on and noticed than my flip flops... and helmet hair is a style...

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get the same text from the same buddy at least 30x a summer....

"Wanna go snowmobiling?" referencing my gear...funny flip-flop wearing harley donk

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get the same text from the same buddy at least 30x a summer....

"Wanna go snowmobiling?" referencing my gear...funny flip-flop wearing harley donk

as he rides away on his 32hp 800lb harley then breaks down 1/4 mile later because his engine burned up all the oil in it.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me. atl east something similar. I went back to work one day after lunch last summer, twas very hot, almost 90 out and I took off my jacket as I was walking down the hallway. anyway I could see clearly that some people were looking at me and smirking, making comments. But you shouldn't let it bother you.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back from the Daytona 200. When I was leaving quite a few of the rented harley/bolt on goatee crowd were making comments. I really don't give a F*** about what they think.

REiSPECT

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha! these responses are awesome.

Anyone who rides without protective gear is gambling. Plain and simple. I got too much to lose and have absolutely no faith in drivers on the road.

How often will someone actually regret wearing gear (as opposed to not wearing gear)?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I relish being being different so the comments and looks are just part of the fun. I get the same looks when I'm sitting at a light next to someone in the pouring rain or when I pass someone on the highway on a 15F morning.

At least least some people are creative in their comments. I pulled into a little country gas station one very hot summer day wearing full gear (of course) and the two older guys were sitting, eating lunch at a picnic table. One of them looked me up and down and said (with perfect comedic timing and delivery by the way) "What do you wear when it's cold?"

Now with my Hi-Viz Kili I get even more looks.. which is the point, right? I do wish people would come up with new material though. "Here comes Fireman Tony" is getting a little old.

kilimanjaro5%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 21, have been riding here in Michigan for just over a year, and I have gotten WAY too many comments about my gear.

When it's hot it ends up being more like "Aren't you just burning up in there?"
When it's cold it is more like: "Well, at least you can wear all that gear now..."

What they don't seem to understand is that it's an X-Element (not very impressed with it...) mesh jacket (with full armor and leather up the arms), AGV sport pants with mesh on the front and back thigh and shin and Sidi Strada Evo Air boots. All of this makes for very comfy summer riding and if I throw on the weatherproof layer and some thermal pants, comfy winter riding (only above freezing, though.)

Oh, and icon gloves.. (full length leather ones during winter.)

It sometimes sickens me... especially during "Bike Time" up in muskegon...

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't get it much at all. Being in a military town and working on a base, you have to take a MSF course before they give you a pass for your bike. Most of the riders in my area are seasoned and tour during the summer. They know the importance of going ATGATT, esp during a high traffic commute.
I've often gotten words of concern or "You're crazy!" for riding in the winter (hell, any rain). It's mainly from non-riders, though, and it's been a very mild season. We only got a couple of snow days. Bikes don't melt in the rain, and this seems to amaze some people.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm an ATGATT guy, and it's great to see so many others on this board. Over my jacket, I also wear a hi-viz vest (cheap from Harbor Freight, but it's held up well!). I get laughed at on occasion, and I get a lot of smirks from people in cars. I also have noticed a decrease in bikers that wave at me when I'm all geared up with my modulator flashing (in my last bike - going to install the FZ6's modulator soon)! This could just be my imagination.

As others have said, I almost enjoy being laughed at. I know that I'm doing what I can to reduce the risk of injury. I hope those that wear no gear (or only a little gear) never feel the consequences of these decisions.

To me, too, it's a family thing. I care enough about my family that I don't want them to have to bury me because I enjoyed the "air in my hair". If the unthinkable were to happen, I want my family to know I cared about them enough to do everything I could to prevent the tragedy.

MiFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I got this today from a total stranger as I was "Gearing down" when I arrived at the book store. He was on a Road King with the half helmet and t shirt combo. He chuckled at me when he simply parked and started to walk into a Panera Bread. A real badass right there.