First impressions on first oil change

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
i changed it today at about 560 miles or so. I was curious if anyone knows if Yamaha hires gorillas to put the bikes together. And i only ask that because out of the 3 new bikes i have owned i have NEVER had to actually get a pair of large water pump pliers to get the filter off until today! I even have a plastic filter wrench ive been using for my filters (purolators) and it even scratched that up and wouldnt work! see pic:

IMG_2891_1.jpg

Anyhow, after that hump busting experience i have to say im very happy with the oil changing process. The filter is easy to get to as well as the engine bolt. Draining on the side stand created no mess at all as long as you tilt the pan when it starts to flow at first. I LOVE the dipstick. Ive had a site glass on my last 2 bikes and using a telescopic mirror while sitting on the bike was a pain in the a$$. Plus using the centerstand afterwards to put the oil in was cake. I usually use Rotella dino and switch to synthetic around 2500 but this time i got a gallon of the mobil delvac and i didnt realize how the jug has a pop out spout. awesome. No funnel mess at all. One of the bikes i really look FORWARD to oil changes for. ;)

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the First FZ oil change. I gotta agree some of those yamaha service guys way over tighten things. When I got my used 2004 fz6 in 2009 (4800 miles and the previous owner had only done the break in service at a yamaha shop) I did the oil change right away just so i knew my oil and filter where good. Well lets just say the drain bolt was so over torqued it took 30 minutes, two mechanics and me, and a varied assortment of tools of varying length trying to get enough torque just to loosen that sucker. Needless to say that drain bolt was thoroughly destroyed so it was promptly replaced. As for the filter well same problem, tried a filter wrench and no luck eventually just stabbed the stupid thing with screwdriver(Be prepared very effective but very messy) and used that to unscrew it. Next oil filter is gonna be a K&N with a bolt on the end for easy removal.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Congrats on the First FZ oil change. I gotta agree some of those yamaha service guys way over tighten things. When I got my used 2004 fz6 in 2009 (4800 miles and the previous owner had only done the break in service at a yamaha shop) I did the oil change right away just so i knew my oil and filter where good. Well lets just say the drain bolt was so over torqued it took 30 minutes, two mechanics and me, and a varied assortment of tools of varying length trying to get enough torque just to loosen that sucker. Needless to say that drain bolt was thoroughly destroyed so it was promptly replaced. As for the filter well same problem, tried a filter wrench and no luck eventually just stabbed the stupid thing with screwdriver(Be prepared very effective but very messy) and used that to unscrew it. Next oil filter is gonna be a K&N with a bolt on the end for easy removal.

I had to do the screwdriver stabbing method on my vstrom but that was MY FAULT since i overtightened. And my drain bolt on my FZ was very tight as well but i was glad I had a 17mm socket in 1/2 drive. I put that monster ratchet on it and heard the crack (the good one of course) and was elated. From here on out it should be simple to do.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Both FZ6's AND my FZ1 had the same experience! I have one of the crusher wrenches just for this now.
25320.jpg

I put the filters on hand-tight and when I change the oil after my own work, I can almost always spin them off with my hand.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oily?

I like the K&N oil filter because of the nut on the shell. 14mm I think. Very handy. Easy on, easy off.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I think they are just paranoid. The filters should always be hand tight. Spin to contact then one full turn is good. I use the same method whether is a small motorcycle or a big massive filter on heavy equipment. Never have problems. Just don't strip that oil pan :)

S

sm00thpapa

Both FZ6's AND my FZ1 had the same experience! I have one of the crusher wrenches just for this now.
25320.jpg

I put the filters on hand-tight and when I change the oil after my own work, I can almost always spin them off with my hand.

I have the exact same oil filter wrench and it will loosen any oil filter very easily. I don't know what it is, but there is something about oil changes that gets me very excited. Just the thought of that fresh oil flowing through the engine brings a smile to my face. :cheer:

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the exact same oil filter wrench and it will loosen any oil filter very easily. I don't know what it is, but there is something about oil changes that gets me very excited. Just the thought of that fresh oil flowing through the engine brings a smile to my face. :cheer:
+1 agreed I love knowing its nice and clean in there

fireman

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought my FZ after two years of seaching for the right one. lol I changed the oil yesterday I too had the same trouble with the filter being on to tight it took me longer to find a wrench to pry it off then it did to service the bike. I used Royal Purple oil with the K&N filter.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
On second thought im not exactly crazy about the damn GOLD pure one oil filters on this bike. i preferred the blue. Looks kinda fugly on there. Might have to keep them for my other bike and look at either the k&n or something. Or, i could just spray the filters with a can of black krylon. :rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm switching to these... much cheaper and I have a TON of them after buying a K Cup machine for home!

Paper_Filters.jpg

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On second thought im not exactly crazy about the damn GOLD pure one oil filters on this bike. i preferred the blue. Looks kinda fugly on there. Might have to keep them for my other bike and look at either the k&n or something. Or, i could just spray the filters with a can of black krylon. :rockon:

I've got a fix for that.

smileyfilter.jpg