Front sprocket nut dimensions

jreidg3

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a 17T front sprocket from another forum member this week. When i pulled the sprocket cover off the bike there was no nut or retaining ring!! Dealer says 3-5 days to get the nut and washer. Is there any alternatives? Does anyone know the nut dimensions for a 2007? I was going to stop at the local Fastenal and see if they had something, but I cant really bring the drive shaft in there :)
Thanks,
josh

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Yamaha 2007 manual shows a regular nut with a flat, splined washer that goes underneath it. Once the washer is on (with the spline so it doesn't move), there's tabs that stick out and bend over the nut PREVENTING it from coming loose.

Now, on my 07, when I replaced the front sprocket, the stock nut and replacment nut BOTH had a thin flange that stuck out(see below pic). Once the sprocket nut was torqued down, the thin flange was slightly peened over the main transmission drive shaft. I believe this is the most up to date retaining nut.

There was a re-call for the earlier bikes as that nut would come loose (obviously not good and potentially very dangerous).

IMO, I'd wait and get the correct nut, its really not worth the chance.

Below is a pic of my old sprocket nut (don't remember if there was a washer underneath but I don't think so). You can see the rraised lip..

Once the picture is open, click on it again to enlarge it..

Last edited:

jreidg3

Reaction score
Visit site
I know!!! I was doing over 70mph when I drove the bike home. I am so glad you sent me that sprocket. I would have never taken that cover off and could have been driving around like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free