Fuel Grade (regular, mid-range or premium)

Fuel Grade

• Regular

Votes: 397 44.1%
  • Mid-range

Votes: 68 7.5%
  • Premium

Votes: 436 48.4%

• Total voters

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
I've switched to regular since being a member of this forum. No performance problems whatsoever. All my riding life I thought we had to use the premium...I wanna refund :(

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this will not change anyone's mind but read it, it's interesting, especially for the cars that do not require premium fuel
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/regular-or-premium-test-results-page-2?redirect=no
All cars minus the Honda accord picked up slight hp and all around performance, is it worth the price? Up to the person filling it up I guess?

Take it how you will especially since no bikes were tested but I'm not going to get back into this, just thought id throw this bit of info out there...

mduhon

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if its just me but I've tried both premium and regular and when I used regular for several tanks in a row, I got less than 42 mpg while with premium Ive gotten consistently 46-54 mpg. And that's with driving the same road to school and back on each tank

FZ648

Reaction score
Visit site
If your Regular fuel contains Ethanol, then it is less powerful, therefore you won't get as good mileage.
Around here, the Premium fuel is about the only fuel that does not contain Ethanol, and even that fact, I am not so sure of anymore.

It is really not about the Octane rating, likely just about the Ethanol content. Our bikes are designed to run on "Regular unleaded gasoline" of Octane 86 or higher. (North American number)

I live at a higher altitude, so in theory, I can use even less octane than "regular". (higher altitude = lower compression)

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty much everything here has ethanol in it. Closest non-ethanol gas to us is almost in Oklahoma. Wish theyd do away with that garbage fuel.

Sent from my iPhone

microage97

Reaction score
Visit site
I filled up with some on oxy prem the other dya. Night and and day difference with the oxy prem. Fz6 is more snarly now and just somes mean. What gives? Can the ECU remap?

Timbostang

Reaction score
Visit site
Higher octane fuels actually burn cooler or slower and that is the reason for putting it in high performance motors. The slower it burns, the less chance of having pre=detonation (pinging). I've been running 87 since I got the bike with no problems. Just for grins I am going to run several tanks of 93 to see if my mpg changes. I have 2 drag strips close by as well. I might go get some times for that comparison as well.

Oh, and I've been averaging 51 mpg on the 87 octane. Low 49, and high 54.

Timbostang

Reaction score
Visit site
Higher octane fuels actually burn cooler or slower and that is the reason for putting it in high performance motors. The slower it burns, the less chance of having pre=detonation (pinging). I've been running 87 since I got the bike with no problems. Just for grins I am going to run several tanks of 93 to see if my mpg changes. I have 2 drag strips close by as well. I might go get some times for that comparison as well.

Oh, and I've been averaging 51 mpg on the 87 octane. Low 49, and high 54.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
They don't burn slower or cooler. They are simply harder to ignite (I.e. via compression). This prevents spark knock in higher compression engines.

Sent from my iPhone