FZ6 Fork Swap (07 R1 forks)

WIZARD_IKARI

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy ya'll, after digging around for a while and trying to resurrect as much information I can, I'm coming up empty handed. Just got a 07 R1 front end (triples, forks, brakes, etc) to see the possibility of swapping it onto my 07 FZ6. The door stopper right now is that the r1 stem is just way to short to toss into the frame even without bearings, washers, etc. The three main threads I am coming across are the USD for dummies, the R6 triple tree modding, and the all balls conversion threads, which a lot of the pictures are gone for the latter of the two so while the text is really helpful, it's hard to know what exactly is going. I guess my main question is, is it a) possible to swap the stem from a fz6 into the r1 lower even though it will be a 1mm smaller difference b) would it just be better to find an r6 stem and pop it in. Thanks for reading, or if this even makes sense, let me know!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think that a competent machine shop should be able to press the stem out of the FZ6 LTC and press it into the LTC from the R1. If there is a 1mm difference in stem diameter (i believe you are saying that the FZ6 stem is thinner) then the machine shop can drill out the R1 LTC and press in a bushing, and the bushing will receive the FZ6 stem. If you have a hydraulic press, you can do it yourself.

R1 forks on the FZ6 = Awesome.

WIZARD_IKARI

Reaction score
Visit site
Updating for anyone that does this swap in the future. Ended up getting a 2009 R6 stem instead just to go the safe route, the R9S stems are all to short and are 30mm stem so will need work to get in the R1 ltc. Grinding the stops off tonight because how they are now, the fork won't even turn since they're caught up on the bottom of the headtube (will post pictures sometime). On a sidenote, is there an alternative to All-Balls bearings for a conversion bearing? Looking for 99-3538 but it's out of stock and can't seem to find it anywhere else, any leads are really helpful!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing how this all goes together. I just searched for "R1 Forks" on eBay and saw entire front ends (forks, t-clamps, wheel, brakes, axle, clip-ons, master) for less than $700. I need another bike like a hole in the head...but would consider building an FZ6 with an R1 fork set-up.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing how this all goes together. I just searched for "R1 Forks" on eBay and saw entire front ends (forks, t-clamps, wheel, brakes, axle, clip-ons, master) for less than $700. I need another bike like a hole in the head...but would consider building an FZ6 with an R1 fork set-up.

If you are looking for a donor bike.......... I could ask around :)

WIZARD_IKARI

Reaction score
Visit site
Small update: I have the forks on, it took a lot of swearing and some mcgyvering, but it is securely on there. Next step is clip-ons, round headlight, and brake bleed. Will update once everything is final. Pic attached is what it looks like as of right now (pardon the mess, storage unit's were $50 more for a 7x12).PXL_20210212_015509480.jpg Next question is, a wire is coming out of the throttle housing as well as the turn signal housing, what is it and what does it connect to? Picture for clarification PXL_20210220_011106183.jpg

D1ck3y0da

Reaction score
Visit site
You ever get this finished up? Looking to do fork swap this winter on my 07, trying to figure out everything I need for both r6 and r1 swap

Steedayo

Reaction score
Visit site
Any final product notes? Looking into this, aren’t there upgrade kits for the current suspension? I have for sure read a thread about upgraded coils in the suspension